Romanesque interest at St Michael's centres on the W tower; constructed of bands of ironstone and grey stone in its lower parts, and originally unbuttressed but with diagonal buttresses and a plinth course added. The top storey is of rubble and has 14thc. windows and a battlement. Inscriptions supply the names of two churchwardens and the date 1654, which must correspond to a restoration. 12thc. work surviving here comprises the W doorway and the tower arch, both extremely plain. For the rest, the nave is aisled with 13thc. arcades of three bays and a later clerestorey. The chancel is narrow with S chapel (now a vestry) as wide as the nave aisle and almost as long, and there are signs of a rood loft inside, and a stair turret for it in the angle between nave and chancel on the N side.
In 1086 Farthinghoe was reckoned among the lands formerly belonging to Earl Aubrey but then in the king's hands. A priest was recorded.
Benefice of Aynho and Croughton with Evenley and Farthinghoe and Hinton-in-the-Hedges with Steane.
Plain, continuous, single order.
|h. of opening (ignoring modern step)||2.40 m|
|w. of opening||1.03 m|
Single order, round headed but depressed slightly on the S side. The embrasures are plain and square with plain hollow chamfered imposts.