St Lawrence's has a 12thc. W tower and nave to which a tall, hall-church-like S aisle has been added. The arcade is apparently 14thc., and its two E capitals are carved with elaborate naturalistic foliage. There are N and S nave doorways, the latter under a porch. The chancel is early 13thc. to judge from the priest's doorway, although the chancel arch is later.
The tower, of stone rubble, has a plain 12thc. window on the ground storey, W face, and c.1200 bell-openings on all faces except the S. It was originally of three storeys, and the third has been heightened in ashlar and given a gabled roof. This was done in the 14thc., when new bell-openings were added on all faces except the N. The church was restored in 1853-55. The tower arch, tower bell-openings and font are included here.
Earl Hugh held Radstone in 1086, and Robert from him. No church was recorded then. The earliest documentary evidence for the church is in the 13thc., when it was described as a daughter chapel of Marston St Lawrence.
Benefice of Helmdon with Stuchbury and Radstone, and Syresham with Whitfield, Lois Weedon with Weston and Plumpton and Wappenham.
Apparently the same as the N opening, but the central shaft has been boxed in and the arch-heads are worn to a triangular shape.
One order, round headed. Of unrendered rubble and almost as plain as it could be, the only stonework being narrow imposts with a deep hollow between rolls on the inner faces only, the W face being shaved flush with the wall.
At W end of S aisle. The bowl is almost a cylinder - tapering out slightly towards the rim. It stands on a tall cylindrical base, chamfered at the top, and this on a two-step rectangular plinth with chamfered steps. The bowl is decorated with two rows of fish scale ornament - large scales outlined by flat fillets. The bowl is lead lined, and the rim has been repaired with large inserts, one from W to NW, and the other at E.
|ext. diam.of bowl at rim||0.68 m|
|h. of bowl||0.33 m|
|h. of bowl + chamfered base||0.72 m|
|int. diam. of bowl at rim||0.49 m|
|overall h. including steps||1.12 m|