St Mary, Hampton-in-Arden, Warwickshire

Feature Sets (3)


The church has N and S aisles, a heavily altered 12thc. chancel with plain round-headed windows, and a 15thc. W tower. Romanesque sculpture is found in the blocked N chancel doorway and S nave arcade.


There was a priest at Hampton-in-Arden at the time of the Domesday Survey. Robert Mobray gave the church to the canons of Kenilworth. The church was appropriated to the canons along with its chapels of Nuthurst and Baddesley Clinton, after a dispute.


Exterior Features


N doorway, chancel (blocked)

Of two orders, the first order segmental-headed, the second order round-headed. Of coarse red and blue sandstone.

h. of opening 1.68 m
max. h. of tympanum 0.27 m
w. of opening 0.89 m
First order:

Plain chamfered jambs, any bases concreted over; chamfered impost blocks of whitish stone with two grooves on the upright. The arch is chamfered.


Plain and square.

Second order:

As first order, except for the shape of the arch. Plain label.


There is a crescent-shaped tympanum formed of rubble infill between the two arches, with a central irregular white stone incised with three concentric semicircles enclosing four radial lines.

Interior Features



S arcade

E respond capital, first order:
w. 0.48 m
Pier 1 capital:
approx. h. incl. necking 0.22 m
w. 0.83 m
S arcade:

Of four bays, with pointed, chamfered arches of two orders.

E respond: Of two orders, with shared modern base and plinth.

First order:shared, engaged and largely restored half-shaft; plain necking, waterleaf capital with angle volutes extending into inverted scallop-shell palmettes. Plain chamfered impost block.

Second order: Plain and square with voluted, waterleaf capitals and impost blocks continuous with those of the first order.

Pier 1: round, on shallow attic base, with a square, multi-scallop capital above plain necking: nine sheathed scallops to the E face, the sheathing taking the form of an incised saltire on each cone; nine trumpet scallops on S face, with that at the SE angle sharing a ridged cone with the W face; eight sheathed scallops on W and N faces. Hollow-chamfered impost block with a narrow half-roll below the hollow and two grooves on the face. Restored with different materials.

Pier 2: as pier 1, but with heavily mutilated multi-scallop capital, originally square, now rounded; three trumpet scallops remain on E and S sides with rolls between them. A head carved on SE side, and seven later heads on the N side. Round later impost block.

Pier 3: as pier 1, but with double-chamfered base and square multi-scallop capital with the cones replaced by plain upright leaves with rounded tips and hollowed surface, longer at the angles, where the tops furl into small volutes. Eight scallops on the E face, seven on the S and W, eight on the N, the last damaged. Later impost block.

W respond: of two orders, as E respond, but multi-scallop capitals to both, that of the first order with five scallops on the main face, two on the sides; those of the second order as follows:

N capital: two sheathed scallops

S capital: one plain scallop, one sheathed, with a half roll at the angle.


The church has undergone extensive changes, which have included alterations and restorations to the Romanesque work. With the exception of the heads of pier 2, which the VCH dates to the 14thc., the shafts and capitals are original; there is, however, uncertainty about the rest of the S arcade, and the two central arches at least are probably later. Pevsner points out that the piers may have been heightened.

The N door with its two different arches is unusual, and the author is uneasy about this. According to the VCH, the tympanum is a fragment of a 13thc. coffin lid with an incised cross head.


  • The Victoria County History of Warwickshire. 4:100.
  • N. Pevsner and A. Wedgewood, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire. 1974, 304.


Site Location
National Grid Reference
SP 201 801 
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Warwickshire
now: West Midlands
medieval: Lichfield (to 1075); Chester (to c.1086); Coventry and Lichfield (to 1541)
now: Birmingham
now: St Mary and St Bartholomew
medieval: not confirmed
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
Harry Sunley