X

Browse Sites

Please use our index to browse sites by location name.

Filter by site name: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Showing sites beginning with: E (show all). « Previous Page 3 of 6 Next »

Eaton Bishop

St Michael and All Angels, Eaton Bishop, Herefordshire

Parish church

Eaton Bishop is four miles W of the centre of Hereford, set on rising ground on the S side of the Wye valley.  The church ...

Eaton Constantine

St Mary, Eaton Constantine, Shropshire

Parish church

Eaton Constantine is a village on the N side of the Severn, midway between Shrewsbury and Telford.  The church, in the centre of the village, ...

Eaton Hastings

St Michael, Eaton Hastings, Berkshire

Parish church

Eaton Hastings is a sparsely populated settlement some 2 miles NW of Faringdon in the western part of the county. The church stands in farmland ...

Eaton Socon

St Mary, Eaton Socon, Huntingdonshire

Parish church

St Mary's consists of a square-ended chancel with N vestry and N organ transept, a clerestoried nave with north and south aisles and a S ...

Ebberston

St Mary, Ebberston, Yorkshire, North Riding

Parish church

This substantial church consisting of a nave, chancel and W tower is now some distance from the centre of the village. It would appear that ...

Ebbesbourne Wake

St John the Baptist, Ebbesbourne Wake, Wiltshire

Parish church

The church mostly dates from the early 14thc., and is unusually wide, with no arcades. The single sedile with a low, crocketed gable in the chancel is ...

Eccleston

St Mary the Virgin, Eccleston

Parish church

The church is entirely of red sandstone, with a south aisle and two-bay chancel with a full-length south chapel. The lower parts of the tower ...

Eckington

Holy Trinity, Eckington, Worcestershire

Parish church

The church has an aisled nave (the S arcade Romanesque, the N of 1887) and a later medieval chancel and SW tower. Romanesque sculpture is ...

Edenham

St Michael, Edenham, Lincolnshire

Parish church

The earliest evidence for the church here are the remains of two roundels that formed part of an Anglo-Saxon string course in the wall above ...

Edensor

St Peter, Edensor, Derbyshire

Parish church

The church is of 1867 by G. G. Scott, but incorporating some of the old fabric from the earlier site (the village had been removed ...

Edgeworth

St Mary, Edgeworth, Gloucestershire

Parish church

Edgeworth is about 5 miles NW of Cirencester. The church, which is situated about 0.5 mile from the village, lies on an ancient trackway leading ...

Edgmond

St Peter, Edgmond, Shropshire

Parish church

Edgmond is a village one mile NW of Newport. The church lies to the S of the village and consists of a sandstone ashlar building of ...

Edinburgh, Castle

St Margaret, Edinburgh, Castle

Castle chapel

The chapel is historically described as being dedicated to St.Margaret, queen of Scotland, who died in 1093. The structure is built as a slightly irregular ...

Edinburgh, National Museum of Scotland, Herdmanston Stoup

Edinburgh, National Museum of Scotland, Herdmanston Stoup

Museum

Until the mid-20thc., the stoup was found placed against the N wall of the only surviving section of a chapel built in the 13thc. for ...

Edinburgh, National Museum of Scotland, Kirknewton voussoir (see also: Old Parish Church, Kirknewton)

Edinburgh, National Museum of Scotland, Kirknewton voussoir (see also: Old Parish Church, Kirknewton)

Museum

The church at Kirknewton was united with that of East Calder in 1750 and a new church built elsewhere.  In about 1780, the majority of ...

Edinburgh, National Museum of Scotland, Mid Calder cross head (see also: Kirk of Calder, Mid Calder)

Edinburgh, National Museum of Scotland, Mid Calder cross head (see also: Kirk of Calder, Mid Calder)

Museum

The block of stone, carved with circle and interlace on both main faces, is now part of the National Museum of Scotland Collection. According to ...

Edinburgh, St Giles' Cathedral

St Giles, Edinburgh, St Giles' Cathedral

Parish church

The present church is essentially of late medieval date; there is no evidence for a church on the site before the 12th century.  A Romanesque ...

Edstaston

St Mary, Edstaston, Shropshire

Parish church

Edstaston is a small village at the north of the county, 2 miles N of Wem. The church stands in the village centre, and is ...

Edvin Loach

Old Church, Edvin Loach, Herefordshire

Ruined parish church

Edvin Ralph is in the NE of the county, 3 miles N of Bromyard. The landscape here is hilly and wooded; the topography governed by ...

Edvin Ralph

St Michael and All Angels, Edvin Ralph, Herefordshire

Parish church

Edvin Ralph is in the NE of the county, 2 miles N of Bromyard.  The landscape here is hilly and wooded; the topography governed by ...