X

Browse Sites

Please use our index to browse sites by location name.

Filter by site name: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Showing sites beginning with: L (show all). « Previous Page 2 of 9 Next »

Launcells

St Swithin, Launcells, Cornwall

Parish church

The church is of standard Cornish aisled type, a S arcade of polyphant and a slightly late N arcade of granite. Nothing remains from the ...

Launceston

St Mary Magdalene, Launceston, Cornwall

Parish church

A 14thc. tower survives from an earlier chapel, the building itself is the work of Sir Henry Trecarrell in 1511-24, entirely of granite, and externally ...

Launceston

St Thomas, Launceston, Cornwall

Parish church

Originally a chapel of ease to its mother church of St Stephen, St Thomas's church lies midway between St Stephen's and Launceston. The church is ...

Launceston, White Hart Hotel

Launceston, White Hart Hotel, Cornwall

Hotel

The front entrance to the White Hart Hotel in Launceston is a reset doorway thought to be from the ruins of the Augustinian Priory of ...

Lavendon

St Michael, Lavendon, Buckinghamshire

Parish church

Lavendon is a village in the extreme N of the county, on the A428 road from Northampton (10 miles) to Bedford (8 miles). The church ...

Lawhitton

St Michael, Lawhitton, Cornwall

Parish church

St Michael's is a small church built on an unusual plan.  The 13thc tower stands in the place of a S transept, which also has ...

Laxton

All Saints, Laxton, Northamptonshire

Parish church

All Saints owes a great deal to the restoration by Lord Carbery (d.1894). From the exterior it appears to be a 19thc. church, apart from ...

Lea

St John the Baptist, Lea, Herefordshire

Parish church, formerly chapel

Lea is a village in the far S of the county, 4 miles SE of Ross-on-Wye and under a mile from the Gloucestershire border, on ...

Leaden Roding

St Michael, Leaden Roding, Essex

Parish church

Leaden Roding is one of a group of eight villages called Roding in the SW of the county, 10 miles SE of Bishop’s Stortford.  The ...

Leake

St Mary, Leake, Yorkshire, North Riding

Parish church

This relatively substantial building comprises a chancel, nave, N and S aisles, and W tower. With the exception of the remains of the late 17th-c Leake ...

Leasingham

St Andrew, Leasingham, Lincolnshire

Parish church

Church consists of W tower and nave of the 13thc. and a S arcade of 14thc. date. The vestry may be of the 15thc. based ...

Leathley

St Oswald, Leathley, Yorkshire, West Riding

Parish church

Leathley is a parish in the Harrogate district of North Yorkshire near its southern border with West Yorkshire. The church of St Oswald stands on ...

Leckhampstead

Assumption, Leckhampstead, Buckinghamshire

Parish church

Leckhampstead is in NW Buckinghamshire, 3 miles NE of the centre of Buckingham near the border with Northamptonshire, and extends along a network of minor ...

Leckhampstead

St James, Leckhampstead, Berkshire

Parish church

Leckhampstead is a village in West Berkshire, 6 miles NW of Newbury. The present church is by S. S. Teulon, 1858-60, but contains an elaborately ...

Ledbury

St Michael and All Angels, Ledbury, Herefordshire

Parish church

Ledbury is a town in the E of the county, situated 12 miles E of Hereford at the foot of the Malvern Hills whose ridge, ...

Ledsham

All Saints, Ledsham, Yorkshire, West Riding

Parish church

Ledsham church stands on a small escarpment and is 'almost certainly the oldest standing building in West Yorkshire' (Ryder 1993, 165). It now comprises chancel, ...

Lee Brockhurst

St Peter, Lee Brockhurst, Shropshire

Parish church

Lee Brockhurst is a small village part of the civil parish of Moreton Corbet and Lee Brockhurst, about 12 miles SW of Market Drayton. The ...

Leicester, Belgrave

St Peter, Leicester, Belgrave, Leicestershire

Parish church

The former village of Belgrave is now a suburb of Leicester, and the church lies on the E bank of the River Soar. The building ...

Leigh

St Eadburga, Leigh, Worcestershire

Parish church

The 12thc. features of the church are the nave, the S nave arcade and the W part of the chancel. In the later 12thc. or ...

Leintwardine

St Mary Magdalene, Leintwardine, Herefordshire

Parish church

Leintwardine is a large village, and the most northerly parish in the county. The nearest town is Ludlow, 7 miles to the E, and the ...