X

Browse Sites

Please use our index to browse sites by location name.

Filter by site name: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Showing sites beginning with: O (show all). « Previous Page 2 of 3 Next »

Old Somerby

St Mary Magdalene, Old Somerby, Lincolnshire

Parish church

Though a small church, it is a palimpsest of varied medieval and post-medieval work. The nave has a 13thc S arcade, a 14thc N wall, and a ...

Old Warden

St Leonard, Old Warden, Bedfordshire

Parish church

Brown cobblestone church of late 12thc. to early 13thc. date with chancel, nave with S aisle and S porch, and W tower. The 12thc. tower ...

Onehouse

St John the Baptist, Onehouse, Suffolk

Parish church

Onehouse is 10 miles E of Bury St Edmunds, just outside Stowmarket. St John's stands in arable farmland, with the moated hall site 100 yards ...

Onibury

St Michael, Onibury, Shropshire

Parish church

The vilage of Onibury lies four miles northwest of Ludlow on the River Onny. The church is single-aisled, with a 14thc. tower and nave.   Chancel 12thc with ...

Orchard

Orchard

Two fragments of a granite, ringed cross found in a field, which Crawford describes as the 'Church Field' (Crawford 1907, 218). There are no building ...

Orcheston St Mary

St George, Orcheston St Mary, Wiltshire

Parish church

The north doorway of the nave is the only 12thc. survival. Most of the building dates from the 13thc. though its details were renewed in ...

Orcop

St John the Baptist, Orcop, Herefordshire

Parish church

Orcop is a small dispersed village in the S of the county, 8 miles S of Hereford and a similar distance W of Ross-on-Wye. It ...

Orford

St Bartholomew, Orford, Suffolk

Parish church

Orford is a tiny coastal town in the sandlings of SE Suffolk, 16 miles due E of Ipswich. It was not mentioned in the Domesday ...

Orford Castle, Orford

Orford Castle, Orford, Suffolk

Castle

Orford is a tiny coastal town in the sandlings of SE Suffolk, 16 miles due E of Ipswich.  It was not mentioned in the Domesday ...

Orleton

St George, Orleton, Herefordshire

Parish church

Orleton is a village in the N of the county, 5 miles N of Leominster and just over a mile S of the Shropshire border. ...

Ormiston

Ormiston

Ruined church

A report in 1627 describes the church as owned by the laird of Ormiston. In 1642, another report suggested that the parish be united with ...

Ormskirk

St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Lancashire

Parish church

On approaching Ormskirk it would appear the town centre has two churches. This is not the case, instead the medieval parish church of the town ...

Orsett

St Giles and All Saints, Orsett, Essex

Parish church

Orsett is a village in the Thurrock district of Essex, on the N side of the A13 some 5 miles NE of Grays. The church, ...

Orton

Orton, Northamptonshire

Redundant former chapel

All Saints was a chapel of Rothwell until 1964, when it became redundant by 1966. It now houses the Orton Trust, founded in 1968 to ...

Osbournby

St Peter, Osbournby, Lincolnshire

Parish church

Primarily an early 14thc. church consisting of W tower, nave with four-bay side aisles, and chancel. The font is Romanesque.

Osmington

St Osmund, Osmington, Dorset

Parish church

The existing church was extensively restored c. 1846 and comprises a rebuilt chancel, nave, a rebuilt N aisle which retains its arcade from c.1 300, ...

Otley

All Saints, Otley, Yorkshire, West Riding

Parish church

Large church with aisled nave, chancel with N and S vestries, transepts and W tower. Ryder (1993, 169) says 'the earliest visible masonry is in ...

Ottringham

St Wilfrid, Ottringham, Yorkshire, East Riding

Parish church

A large church with W tower, aisled nave, S chapel and chancel; pantiled porch. Part of the SE corner of the nave is supposed to ...

Oulton

St Michael, Oulton, Suffolk

Parish church

In 1868 Oulton was described as a large and irregular village 2 miles W of Lowestoft, bordered by Oulton Broad on the SW and by ...

Ousden

St Peter, Ousden, Suffolk

Parish church

St Peter's has an aisled nave, central tower and chancel with a N chapel. The nave has original 12thc. features in one S window and ...

Overbury

St Faith, Overbury, Worcestershire

Parish church

The church has a 12thc. nave with N and S arcades, both with a clerestorey, a 13thc. chancel with 14thc. aisles, a 15thc. tower between ...

Overton

St Helen, Overton, Lancashire

Parish church

Overton sits rather isolated at the end of the peninsula of Morecombe. The church is confusing, for a relatively enormous N 'transept' of 1830 (added to ...

Over Whitacre

St Leonard, Over Whitacre, Warwickshire

Parish church

The present church was built in 1766 and replaced an earlier church. The earlier church had a Romanesque font which was removed and is now ...

Oving

St Andrew, Oving, Sussex

Parish church

Oving church dates from the 13thc. and comprises a W tower, a wide, aisleless nave, N and S transepts, and a chancel. Somewhere in the ...

Ovington

St Mary the Virgin, Ovington, Essex

Parish church

Ovington is a small village in the Braintree district of north Essex, 6 miles W of Sudbury and 1½ miles S of Clare and the ...

Owston Hall

Owston Hall, Yorkshire, West Riding

Hotel, formerly private house

The single feature in this report is a late 12thc round-headed doorway, reset in a boundary wall at Owston Hall which is today a hotel and ...

Oxford

St Giles, Oxford, Oxfordshire

Parish church

St Giles comprises a chancel with a S chapel, aisled nave, W tower and S porch. The 12thc church presumably consisted of nave and chancel, ...

Oxford, Christ Church Cathedral

Christ Church, Oxford, Christ Church Cathedral, Oxfordshire

Cathedral church formerly Augustinian priory

The church is situated within Christ Church College, lying E of Tom Quad, which largely conceals it from the W. It is open to gardens ...

Oxford, Christ Church Cathedral Chapter house

Christ Church, Oxford, Christ Church Cathedral Chapter house, Oxfordshire

Former Augustinian priory or cell

A rectangular building located off the E walk of the cloister of St Frideswide's priory (now Christ Church cathedral), Oxford. c.1230 in its present form, ...

Oxford, St Peter-in-the-East

St Peter, Oxford, St Peter-in-the-East, Oxfordshire

Parish church

The church of St Peter-in-the-East is situated in central Oxford, within the old city walls, in a quiet lane off the High Street. The church ...

Oxhill

St Laurence, Oxhill, Warwickshire

Parish church

The church is aisleless with a 15thc. W tower and an essentially 12thc. nave and chancel. 12thc. sculpture is found on N and S doorways, ...