The first phase was a small Saxo-Norman 'overlap' church comprising aisleless nave and apsidal chancel; of this the chancel arch survives, tall, round-headed and undecorated (Taylor and Taylor 1965, 641; Hassall 1972). In the later 12thc. the S aisle was added, with a two-bay arcade; apparently shortly afterwards, the nave, arcade and aisle were lengthened by one bay westwards. Early 13thc. chancel, with late 14thc. chancel arch inserted into Saxo-Norman one.
The Domesday Book records the village under its early name, Pereiun, but there is no mention of a church. The manor was in possession of Robert D'Oilgi (or D'Oilly), the builder of Oxford Castle. Between 1175 and 1178 William Fitz Ellis and his wife Emma, lords of Waterperry under the d'Oillys, granted the church to Oseney Abbey, which retained in until the Dissolution (V.C.H. Oxon. v, 304).
|h. on E face||0.10 m|
|h. on W face||0.13 m|
|h. (excl. necking)||0.38 m|
|h. (incl. necking)||0.43 m|
|max. w. (all faces)||0.77 m|
|ext. diam. at top||approx. 0.80 m|
|h. of base (incl. surviving part of bowl)||0.68 m|
|h. of bowl (clearly cut down)||0.37 m|