Withypool is a remotely placed village on Exmoor, on the river Barle, 10 miles SW of Minehead. Village clusters around a junction of minor roads at the river crossing, with the church at the centre. St Andrew’s is a late-medieval building consisting of a chancel, a three-bay nave with a N aisle and a S porch. The W tower was rebuilt in the early 17thc. The church is constructed of random rubble from a local source and was restored and refitted in 1887 and restored again, and the tower rebuilt, in 1902. The only Romanesque feature is a font carved with scallops and chevron ornament.
Withypool was held by Robert d’Auberville in 1086, and by 3 foresters before the Conquest. It was assessed at just half a hide.
|Depth of bowl||0.26m|
|External diameter of bowl at rim||0.77m|
|height of bowl||0.38m|
|Internal diameter of bowl at rim||0.52m|
|Total height of font||0.95m|
EH, English Heritage Listed Building 265578.
Exmoor National Park HER, ENPHER Monument Number MSO8668.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, Harmondsworth 1958, 350.