Sandal Magna and its church is about two miles south of the centre of Wakefield. The basically-cruciform church has a 6-bay nave with aisles, a crossing tower; transepts and a choir with S aisle; attached rooms to N of chancel; and a S porch. Externally, the church appears late Gothic, in a churchyard having many grave monuments from the 17thc onward. The internal layout has been reordered so that spaces east of the crossing and transepts are function rooms, offices, etc. Sculpture is found in the bases of the piers of the crossing tower; on two fragmentary grave slabs and in reused stones in the 14thc N arcade.
In the Domesday Book a composite entry of Wakefield and 9 berewicks refers to 3 priests and 2 churches (Williams et al., 1987-92, f299v), presumed by Walker (1917, 1) to be at Wakefield and Sandal. The manor came to the Warennes c.1107 (Butler 1991) and the church was given to Lewes Priory (Walker 1917), and confirmed to Lewes Priory in 1147 (Clay 1949). Lewes was presenting the parson in the early 13thc (Raine 1872,101); the patronage was associated with the manor of Wakefield. Sandal Castle was demolished by order of Parliament in 1646, and only a small portion of the ruins remains above ground. It was excavated 1964-1973 (Butler 1991; Wakefield Council website, Sandal Castle).
|Width of square plinth, pier 1, at the lugs (average)||0.73 m|
Pier 1 includes a reused base. Chamfered plinth, plain square plinth with corner ornament on horizontal surface, seemingly the same on all corners, but that on the SW angle is almost worn away. The motif resembles a three-fold ivy leaf; the outline is raised and the centre hollow. Above this, the basal rings are more delicate than at the crossing, the profile of the lower ring flatter.
Pier 2 has a reused octagonal capital. Ring narrow with a central hollow. Capital with crocketed foliage designs, the crockets developing out of a ribbed leaf on every angle. The terminations are each slightly different. Impost integral, narrow, with a hollow between two fillets, topped by a quirk and a narrow roll.
|Max. height||0.255 m|
|Max. width||0.4 m|
|Max. height||0.58 m|
|Max. width||0.31 m|
The Yorkshire Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne (1825-1874)., L. A. S. Butler, ed. Yorkshire Archaeological Society Record Series 159. Woodbridge 2007.
L. A. S. Butler, Sandal Castle, Wakefield, Wakefield 1991.
C. T. Clay, Early Yorkshire Charters 8: the Honour of Warenne , Yorkshire Archaeological Society Record Series Extra Series 6. Wakefield 1949.
J Raine, The register, or rolls, of Walter Gray, Lord Archbishop of York., Surtees Society 56 (1872).
J Raine, The Dedications of the Yorkshire Churches, Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, 2 (1873).
P. F. Ryder, Medieval Churches of West Yorkshire, West Yorkshire Archaeology Service, Wakefield 1993.
P. F. Ryder, Ryder, Medieval Cross Slab Grave Covers in West Yorkshire, Wakefield 1991.