St Mary's has a three-bay aisled nave with no clerestorey. The N arcade is round-headed and 13thc.; the S, with pointed arches and octagonal piers, 14-15thc. N and S nave doorways are under porches. The chancel is broad with windows of c.1300, but its arch is early 13thc. with an unusual mix of stiff-leaf and moulded capitals. The W tower is tall, slender and Perpendicular. Construction is of stone rubble, part-rendered. Pevsner considers the old font to be a Norman piece and it is therefore included. The operational font is certainly later, dated by Pevsner to the 1660s.
Wappenham was held by Giles, the brother of Ansculf in 1086. A priest was recorded at that time.
Benefice of Helmdon with Stuchbury and Radstone, and Syresham with Whitfield, Lois Weedon with Weston and Plumpton and Wappenham.
|ext. diam. at rim (E-W)||0.61 m|
|ext. diam. at rim (N-S)||0.61 m|
|h. of bowl||0.40 m|
|int. diam. at rim||0.42 m|