Small ruined church, with walls remaining to a height of approximately 1 m. The internal measurements are approximately 12 m x 6.5 m.
Founded by St Sciath c.550 as a nunnery. The present church was built in the early 12thc. and dedicated to St Michael. The church is mentioned in the Papal Taxation of 1302. In 1591 it was already described as a ‘locus desertus’ (JCHAS, 1892).
|h. of opening (original h. probably c. 2.03 m)||2.22 m|
|w. of opening||0.93 m|
‘Historical and Topographical Notes etc. ; Ardskeagh’, JCHAS, 1, 1892, 72-77.
Killanin, M., and Duignan, M, Shell Guide to Ireland, 1962, 3rd ed. 1989, 273.
T. O’Keeffe, ‘Architectural Traditions of the Early Medieval Church in Munster’ in Monk, M. and Sheehan, J., (eds.) Early Medieval Munster; Archaeology, History and Society, Cork, 1998, 112-124.
D. Power et al., Archaeological Inventory of Cork, IV, Dublin, 2000, pt. 2, 552.