The area around St Peter's is historically one of the most interesting in the town. On College Street stood the Augustinian Priory of St Peter and St Paul until 1527, when Cardinal Wolsey founded his Cardinal College of St Mary on the site. It was not completed, but a gateway survives. St Peter's Street itself runs S from the town centre and boasts a good collection of timber-framed shops and houses. St Peter's is at the southern end of the street, at an intersection of the inner ring road. Beyond it to the S are derelict waterfront warehouses standing on the dockside. Its present position is by no means attractive, therefore, but work is under way on the regeneration of the waterfront, and St Peter's is likely to benefit from them. It was made redundant in 1979 along with three other town centre churches, and the Ipswich Historic Churches Trust was founded at the same time to ensure their maintenance and preservation. In 1981 these four churches, St Lawrence, St Peter, St Clement and St Stephen, were passed to the Borough Council by the Church Commissioners for a nominal sum and then offered to the Ipswich Historic Churches Trust on long leases. The intention was that the Trust would undertake repairs and find appropriate new uses.
The church is largely 14th -15thc., with a four-bay aisled nave with 14thc. arcades and aisle windows. It has N and S doorways, the S under a 15thc. porch. The N clerestory is 14thc. with sexfoils, the S 15thc.. The chancel is early 15thc. and Scott extended the aisles alongside it in 1881 and he was also responsible for the great E window. A surpassingly unattractive vestry has been added at the E end, reached through the S chancel aisle. The 15thc. W tower is of knapped flint with diagonal buttresses and a polygonal N stair turret. It has a battlemented parapet with flushwork ornament. The N aisle windows are all boarded up, and other windows are protected by wire mesh grilles except those in the porch, which are broken. The church is home to an important Tournai marble font.
The Austin Canons' Priory of SS Peter and Paul was established in the reign of Henry II (1154-89), probably towards the end, traditionally by the ancestors of Thomas de Lacy and his wife, Alice. Little is known of its early days, but by 1291, the taxation roll shows it to have possessed the Ipswich churches of St Peter, St Nicholas and St Clement, and the rectories of Cretingham, Wherstead, and part of Swineland. In 1344, Thomas de Lacy and his wife, Alice obtained a licence to alienate land and the advowson of the church at Duxford (Cambs) to the priory. The priory was marked for suppression in 1527, when Wolsey formulated his design for a Cardinal's College, but this was never built and the site of the monastery was granted to Thomas Alvard, a gentleman-usher of the King's Chamber.
This former parish church is now in the care of the Ipswich Historic Churches Trust.
|ext. w. of bowl (E-W)||1.11 m|
|ext. w. of bowl (N-S)||1.11 m|
|h. of main faces of bowl||0.29 m|
|int. diam. of bowl||0.83 m|
|overall h. of bowl||0.46 m|
|present h. of bowl and support||1.19 m|
Victoria County History: Suffolk II (1975), 102-03.
H. M. Cautley, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures. London 1937, 280.
C. S. Drake, The Romanesque Fonts of Northern Europe and Scandinavia. London, 2002, 46-59.
C. H. Eden, Black Tournai Fonts of England. London, 1909.
F. Anderson, '12thc. Tournai Marble Sculpture in England'. Newsletter of the Corpus of Romanesque Sculpture in Britain and Ireland. 11 (Autumn 1999), 3.
G. C. Dunning, 'The Distribution of Tournai Fonts', Antiquaries Journal, 1944, 66-68.
G. W. Kitchen, 'The History of the Cathedral Font, Winchester', Journal of the British Archaeological Association, L (1894), 6-16.
J. Blatchly and B. Haward, The Tournai Font in St Peter’s, Ipswich. Ipswich Historic Churches Trust 1983.
J. R. Allen, 'Fonts of the Winchester Type', Journal of the British Archaeological Association, L (1894), 17-27.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Harmondsworth 1961, rev. E. Radcliffe 1975, 295.