Tannington is towards the E of the county, 14 miles N of Ipswich and 4 miles NW of Framlingham. The land here is arable and fairly flat. The village consists of a few dwellings and farms scattered in a triangle bounded by the three residences of Tannington Hall (to the N), Tannington Lodge (to the E) and Tannington Place (to the W). Braiseworth Hall is also nearby (not to be confused with the other Braiseworth near Diss, just 7 miles away). The church stands in fields alongside Tannington Place. It consists of a nave and chancel in one, with a S porch to the nave and a N vestry to the chancel, and a W tower. Nave and chancel are of flint, the nave only rendered with mortar. The nave has a blocked 12thc. N doorway. The S nave and chancel doorways and the nave and chancel windows all date from the 14thc. to 15thc. The battlemented S porch, decorated with flushwork and with a niche for sculpture over the entrance, is dateable by wills toc.1450. The E window has the intersecting tracery ofc.1300, and the piscina is of the same period. Inside there is no chancel arch. The tower is 15thc. and built of knapped flint with diagonal buttresses, a SE bell stair and a plinth decorated with chequered flushwork. It has a battlemented parapet. A date of 1879 on the rainwater heads indicates a restoration. The only Romanesque sculpture is on the N doorway of c.1200.
Tannington was held by Eadric of Laxfield before the Conquest, with eight carucates of land, woodland for 200 pigs and 20 acres of meadow. The manor had a church with 30 acres of land. In 1086 it was held by Robert Malet, but for 30 acres held by Richard and 24 acres held by Warin (both from Malet).
Benefice of Worlingworth with Southolt, Tannington, Bedfield and Monk Soham.
|h. of opening (to bottom of base plinths)||2.02 m|
|h. of present opening||1.87 m|
|w. of opening||0.95 m|