Fingest is a small village in the Chiltern Hills, surrounded by wooded rolling pasture. It consists of a few houses, a pub and the church clustered around a minor crossroads some 5 miles W of High Wycombe. The church is dominated by its 12thc W tower with a later twin gabled roof. It has an unaisled nave with a plain round-headed N lancet indicating a 12thc date, and a 13thc chancel with no chancel arch. Entry is through the timber S porch. The exterior is rendered, although much has been lost from the tower. Romanesque features recorded here are the tower bell-openings and tower arch.
The manor of Fingest is not recorded in the Domesday Survey, but was granted with the church to St Albans Abbey during the abbacy of Richard Daubeny (1097-1119). The abbey held the manor until 1163, when a legal dispute over its ownership was settled in favour of the Bishop of Lincoln. It remained attached to the see of Lincoln until 1547, when it was alienated to Edward, Duke of Somerset, the Protector. The advowson of the church followed the manor throughout the Middle Ages.
The E window arch designs are similar to the W window. Of the capitals the 1st order W capital is a cushion with an angle tuck, and the E is a double scallop; while the 2nd order capitals may be volute capitals but are badly eroded.
Buckinghamshire County Council, Historic Environment Record 0463800000.
EH, English Heritage Listed Building 46688.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire, Harmondsworth 1960, 136.
VCH, Victoria County History: Buckinghamshire. III , London 1925, 42-45.