St James's is of stone rubble, and has an aisled nave with four-bay arcades, the S c.1300, the N a little later. The nave doorways are late medieval, the S under a porch. The chancel is early 13thc. and retains its lancets and piscina, although the E window is 19thc. The W tower is short and unbuttressed, of the late 12thc. but its bell-openings are 14thc. The only Romanesque features are the tower arch capitals and the font.
In 1086 Newbottle was held by Ivo from Hugh de Grandmesnil. No church was recorded. The first mention of this is its grant to Dunstable Priory by William du Pin, confirmed by Bishop Robert Chesney (1148-66). By the 13thc. Newbottle was a possession of Dunstable.
Benefice of King's Sutton and Newbottle and Charlton.
The arch itself is pointed, with two chamfered orders to the E and one plain order to the W. This is clearly of 1250 or later, but the unmoulded embrasures and their plain, frieze-like multi-scallop capitals with roll neckings are 12thc., at least in design.
The capitals and their quirked chamfered imposts extend only to the E and inner faces of each embrasure; the W face, inside the tower, is quite plain. The four sections of capital and impost are separately described below. S embrasure, E face. Capital largely except for inserts, impost mostly replaced or recut. S embrasure, N face. Capital entirely original except for inserted scallop at far W. Impost replaced. N embrasure, E face. Both capital and impost are replacements. N embrasure, S face. Capital largely original, impost partly replaced.
|ext. diam. at rim||0.63 m|
|h. of bowl||0.41 m|
|int. diam. at rim||0.51 m|