Small church with 11thc. stone work in W wall of what was originally a single cell structure of nave and chancel. Rest of church, including the added N aisle, appears to be of c. 1200. There are three fragments of a Romanesque pillar piscina and a drum-shaped font in the nave.
The church of St Michael in Stragglethorpe was subordinate to All Saints in Beckingham, its mother church. A 1349 visitation to Stragglethorpe records the inhabitants complaints about their struggles to carry corpses through flood waters for burial at Beckingham.
|ext. diam.||0.74 m|
|h. of bowl||0.48 m|
|int. diam.||0.55 m|
|max. h.||0.25 m|
|max. h.||0.215 m|
|max. w.||0.27 m|
|max. h.||0.185 m|
|max. w.||0.20 m|
D. Owen, Church and Society in Medieval Lincolnshire. History of Lincolnshire, Vol. 5. 1971 (2nd ed. 1990), 16.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire. London, 1990, 725-26.