Fivehead is a good-sized village in central Somerset, 8 miles E of Taunton. The village stands on the slopes of Fivehead Hill, on land that runs gently down to the Fivehead River, a tributary of the river Isle. The church is in the centre of the village and Langford manor house is just outside the centre, to the E.
St Martin’s is of Lias rubble, mostly squared and coursed, with Hamstone dressings. It consists of a nave with a S aisle and S porch, a chancel and a W tower. The church dates mostly from the 13thc and 15thc, and was restored in the 19thc and 20thc. The only Romanesque features are a small section of chip-carved stringcourse set in the inner S wall of the nave at its E end, and the font.
In 1086 Bertram held Fivehead from Roger de Courseulles, and it was assessed at 1½ hides with 15 acres of meadow and 20 acres of woodland. Cathanger in Fivehead was one of the holdings of Muchelney Abbey, valued at 1½ hides. Of this, Ingulf held one hide and there were 6 acres of meadow and 15 acres of woodland.
|Circumference of stem||0.92m|
|External diameter of bowl||0.53m|
|Height of base||0.26m|
|Height of bowl||0.27m|
|Height of plinth||0.065m|
|Height of stem||0.26m|
|Internal diameter of bowl||0.42m|
|Overall height of font||0.94m|
EH, English Heritage Listed Building 431724.
A. D. Mills, A Dictionary of English Place-names, Oxford 1991 (reprinted and corrected 1995), 132.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, Harmondsworth 1958, 149.
Somerset County Council, Somerset County Council, Historic Environment Record 22691.
VCH, Victoria County History: Somerset, II, London 1911, 103-07 (on Muchelney).