Fiddington is a village in W Somerset, 5½ miles W of Bridgwater and 3½ miles from the coast, sited in the valley of a brook in low rolling country. The church is at the NW end of the village.
The church is built of coursed & squared red sandstone rubble, with some coarse and uneven herringbone masonry in the S wall of the nave, and freestone dressings. It consists of a nave with a N aisle and a S porch, chancel and W tower. The herringbone may be 11thc; the church is otherwise of the 14thc and 15thc., restored in 1860. A sheela-na-gig set at the SE corner of the nave is the only feature described here.
In 1086 Fiddington was held by Hugh from Roger Arundel, and Aethelweard held it before the Conquest. It was valued at 4 hides with 21 acres of meadow, 80 acres of pasture 43 acres of moor and 42 acres of woodland.
The manor may have been held later by a family taking their name from the village. Henry, son of Ralph of Fiddington was described as its lord towards the end of the 13thc. It had passed to the Furneaux by 1303, and by the mid-15thc was held by Eleanor and Ralph Bush (through descent down the female line).
The church was first recorded in 1272, when there was a dispute over the advowson. Presumably it was held by the lords of the manor before this date. The dedication to St Martin existed by the 14thc.
EH, English Heritage Listed Building 268886.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, Harmondsworth 1958, 170.
Somerset County Council, Somerset County Council, Historic Environment Record 16018.
VCH, Victoria County History: Somerset, VI, London 1992, 98-103.