The Chancel and W tower are substantially 12thc., but the remainder, including a 14thc. S aisle, has been rebuilt. There is a plain round-headed window in the tower and Romanesque sculpture is found on the font, the blocked N doorway of the nave, the chancel arch, responds in the chancel and at the W end of the nave, and on a blind arcade on the interior E and S chancel walls, the last very heavily reconstructed. The church is of local red sandstone.
Stanlei had two priests at the time of Domesday . The church at Stonleya was granted to the Augustinian canons of Kenilworth by Henry I (Abstract) with lands from his own lands, at the request of Thurstan, Archbishop of York (ob. 1140), and confirmed by Roger de Clinton, bishop of Chester (1198-1202).
|h. of opening||2.25 m|
|h. of tympanum||0.65 m|
|w. of opening||1.20 m|
|w. of tympanum||1.20 m|
Detached nook shafts, much restored, on bulbous bases with plain but very eroded torus mouldings. The shafts support double scallop capitals.
L capital: There are narrow rolls between the cones and the shields are slightly recessed, a row of zig-zag runs along the upper edge of the capital directly below the impost on the N face. On the W face, the shields bear a triple arcade terminating in bulbs.
R capital: the two shields flanking the NE angle each bear a sunken bisected circle. The other shields are plain.
The impost is hollow-chamfered with a fillet on the upright defined by two grooves, and above this a row of interlace (L) and inverted intersecting arches (R). The impost continues to just beyond the label on the third order.
The arch has recessed double-cone moulding on the angle (15 cones).
L capital: this has wedges in the tucks and recessed shields enclosing circles, the latter linked to the tops of the shields by a bar.
The label is carved with a row of 36 raised discs, 0.10 m in diameter, some restored.
|w. of opening||3.30 m|
The damaged L base stands on a rectangular plinth carved on the S face with loose three-stranded interlace; the R base is bulbous and carved with trellis ornament. The shared, half-round responds each have two vertical rows of chevron, carved point-to-point and of a hollow profile. On the W side of the shafts, at approximately mid-height, are two carvings in low relief:
N respond carving: a bird with tongue or object in its mouth.
S respond carving: a snake with interlaced body.
The capitals have plain necking, and sheathed multi-scallop capitals.
S capital: four scallops on the N face, three on E and W faces, the transition between cone and shield is indistinct and has a slightly convex profile, so that the general outline resembles a block capital. There is a small wedge at the top of the SE angle. Plain necking.
The impost is hollow-chamfered with a small roll on the upright above a groove, followed by a finer roll.
Plain jambs and arch.
No bases. The jambs are carved with two rows of chevron on both faces of the profile: roll, hollow, forming gaping chevron on the angle. There are no capitals. The impost continues from the first order.
The arch is carved on the face with three rows of lateral centrifugal chevrons of the profile: roll, hollow, roll.
The bases are hidden. The three-quarter angle shafts (the L partly obscured by woodwork) have integral lateral clasps along their length, extending from the outer edges of the order. The clasps comprise tapered tabs containing a row of five discs which diminish in size as they approach the angle shaft.
The capitals extend N and S from the shafts to the outer edges of the block, by one scallop on the L capital, two on the R.
The imposts continue from the second order, this is severely damaged on the R.
The label is carved with W face, carved with round billets, defaced at both ends.
|d. of plinth (base 2)||0.16 m|
|h. of plinth(base 2)||0.08 m|
|h. of shaft (across flats)||1.02 m|
|radius of voussoirs (approx)||0.50 m|
|w. of plinth (base 2)||0.48 m|
Half-round responds on rectangular plinths. Multi-scallop capitals with angle tuck and plain necking; four scallops on the main face, two on the sides, with tapered wedge mouldings between some cones.
Nook shafts on rectangular plinths. Above plain neckings are multi-scallop capitals with angle tuck. The N capital has tapered wedge mouldings in the tuck, the S capital has sheathed cones, apart from those abutting the angle.
|diam. at rim||0.67 m|
|diam. of base||0.60 m|
|internal diam. (eccentric)||0.50 m|