The church has chancel (with modern vestry on N), nave, N and S aisles and W tower. The 13thc. chancel (extended in the 14thc.), has a late 12thc. chancel arch with keeled respond shafts and stiff-leaf capitals. The nave was originally aisleless, and the quoins surviving in its outer W wall may date from the 11thc. The N and S aisles are 15thc., as is the W tower. The church was extensively restored in 1875 by Ewan Christian. The late 12thc. S doorway, reset when the aisles were built, has also been restored.
The Domesday Survey does not mention a church at Caddington, but records that the Canons of St Paul, London, were granted the Manor by William I. The advowson of the church of Caddington was held by St Paul's by 1183–4 although VCH suggests that it was held by them prior to this date (VCH, 319-20). The grant was confirmed in 1254 by the Bishop of Lincoln.
In 1086, Caddington was partly in Hertfordshire (10 hides) and partly in Bedfordshire (5 hides). It was transferred wholly to Bedfordshire in 1897.
|h. of capital incl. necking||0.18 m|
|h. of capital not incl. necking||0.20 m|
|h. of opening||2.50 m|
|w. of opening||1.32 m|
R capital: four pointed, long-stemmed leaves with small round-headed leaves between. Weathered, with one of the leaves on the S face broken away completely. Fine tooling marks are visible.
Detached nook shafts (c. 0.3 m taller than the shafts of the first order) on water-holding bases with a plain spur on the L, this is missing on the R. Bell capitals above plain necking and hollow-chamfered imposts. The arch has three rows of lateral chevrons on the face (roll, hollow, roll) and one on the soffit, carved point-to-point.
Plain hollow-chamfered label with a groove on the face, terminating in label stops comprising three roll billet mouldings (two above, one below). The label, imposts and capitals and much of the masonry of the shafts are modern.
Domesday Book: Bedfordshire, Ed. J. Morris, Chichester, 1977, 12, 1.
Domesday Book: Hertfordshire, Ed. J. Morris, Chichester, 1976, 21, 2.
The Victoria County History: A History of the County of Bedford, London, 1908, 2:306–7, 314-20.
M. Hare, 'Anglo Saxon Work at Carlton and other Bedfordshire Churches', Bedfordshire Archaeological Journal, 6, 1971, 33-40.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Bedfordshire and the County of Huntingdon and Peterborough, London, 1968, 61-2.