Image of the feature "Nave arches: Arch from north aisle of nave into north transept" at Campsall.
by George Gregory.
A round-headed arch of one order to the aisle but with a second order to the transept. The corresponding arch in the south aisle is pointed and not twelfth-century. The amount of decoration on an arch at this point is unusual, and it seems to be facing the ‘wrong’ way, that is, such decoration are usually seen when looking east, not west. Morris (1911) 1923 thought that it was a later compilation, but his reasoning on the building sequence is not coherent. However, there are anomalies which are not explained by the improved story outlined by Pevsner. Might this be what remains of an apse arch once at the east end of the lost chancel?
A blocked window in the west wall of the north transept shows the aisle was added after the first phase of construction in the twelfth century which produced a cruciform church. The arch springs from featureless imposts, the second order from the wall itself. First order in the soffit, three rows of centrifugal chevron either side a faceted lozenge in the centre of each voussoir. On the face, a row of not very competent centrifugal chevrons.
Second order, or label, to the transept. This finishes flush with the wall. The curvature of the first and second orders do not fit exactly but need filling on left and right. On the face, two rows of chevron making a pattern reminiscent of the fourth order of the west doorway but deeper and, of course, better preserved. The rows on the north aisle arch are twined together, each voussoir has one crossing of the two rows. In the central spaces formed by the intertwining are faceted lozenges. The pattern is continued into the soffit, with the lozenge being folded over the angle and the shape of the chevron rows continued by incision.
|Approximate total height of opening||3.6m|
|Width of opening||2.58m|