This redundant church is located in the park belonging to Harewood House. The present building replaced an earlier church on the same site around 1410.
The font may have 12thc Romanesque elements.
The church had a large parish pre-Conquest extending from Weeton and Dunkeswick on the N bank of the Wharfe to East Keswick, E of Harewood, and S to Allwoodley. All Saints was roughly central in this area (Faull and Moorhouse 1981, map 15).
The manor was held by the king in 1086, but by 1096 had probably been granted to Robert de Romilly. In 1166 de Curcy held it, and gifts were made to Bolton Priory (Faull and Moorhouse 1987; Butler 1986, 1992).
Harewood castle is a 14thc structure in the angle of the road up from the bridge over the Wharfe; Harewood House is an 18thc mansion in an extensive park.
The site - or sites - of the medieval village have not been established, although several areas of earthworks have been noted; the present village of Harewood was built in the late 18thc as part of the general remodelling by the Lascelles family.
|Depth of basin||0.15 m|
|Diameter of bowl at top||0.75 m|
|Diameter of interior basin||0.526 m|
|Estimated max. diameter of larger roll moulding||0.57 m|
L. A. S. Butler, 'All Saints' Church, Harewood', Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, 58 (1986), 85-108.
L. A. S. Butler, All Saints' Church Harewood, West Yorkshire, Halifax, 1992.
E. Coatsworth, Western Yorkshire. Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture, vol. VIII, Oxford, 2008.
M. L. Faull & S. A. Moorhouse, eds., West Yorkshire: an Archaeological Survey to 1500, Wakefield, 1981.
P. Leach and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Yorkshire: West Riding: Leeds, Bradford and the North, New Haven and London, 2009, 296-98.
P. F. Ryder, All Saints Church, Harewood, Field notes for West Yorkshire Archaeological Services, Leeds, 1988.