Castle Hedingham is a village in the Braintree district of NE Essex, 7 miles SW of Sudbury and 9 miles SE of Haverhill. It is best known for the Norman castle on the N side of the village, subject of another entry, but the church, in the village centre, holds much that is of interest for those involved in 12thc architecture and sculpture. It consists of a long chancel with a N vestry and a N chapel, now converted into an organ room, a nave with 6-bay aisles, a S porch and a W tower. The church is substantially of the late-12thc, except for the brick W tower, dated on a plaque to 1616, but showing signs that it was built 100 years earlier. Also of the 15thc is the S porch, the nave clerestory and the battlements on the nave and aisle walls. The church was restored by Woodyer in 1870-72, and many features that appear to be Romanesque are his. Hence the features recorded here are three doorways, those of the chancel windows that appear to have original elements, the chancel arch, the tower arch responds, the nave arcades, two carved stones reset on the exterior and one inside, and what appears to be a pillar piscina that has been interpreted as at least two other objects (see comments). In the churchyard is a war memorial that incorporates early-12thc carvings, and this is the subject of its own entry.
Castle Hedingham and the nearby village of Sible Hedingham are not distinguished in the Domesday Survey, but as both were held by Aubrey de Vere in demesne in 1086 this is not important to us. The manor was held by Wulfwine in 1066, and was assessed at over 3 hides in all. In addition the record lists 33 villeins, 29 bordars, 10 slaves, 13 freemen and 15 burgesses of Sudbury who were assessed with the manor. This adds up to 100 households - a considerable settlement.
A nunnery at Castle Hedingham was founded by Aubrey de Vere, 1st earl of Oxford, and his wife Lucy, some time in the 12thc. In 1191 their son Aubrey confirmed the gift, and added the church of Castle Hedingham and a wood in Gosfield. The manor remained in de Vere hands until the early 18thc.
|Height of opening||2.70m|
|Width of opening||1.25m|
|Height of opening||2.43m|
|Width of opening||0.91m|
Keeled angle rolls treated as fictive shafts in the jambs, with worn spurred attic bases. The fictive capitals are very tall volutes with roll neckings. The W capital has a spade-shaped leaf on the angle below the main volute, while the E is treated as a flat-leaf capital. Imposts are hollow chamfered with an angle roll at the bottom of the face. The arch has a row of lozenges on the angle with concentric lozenges and acentral boss in each lozenge. The row of lozenges is surrounded by a frame with pointed ends in the form of a quirled roll.
Engaged keeled nook-shafts on spurred attic bases. The W capital has two rows of simpl;ified acanthus with notches between the leaves of the lower row, and heavy roll volutes on the upper leaves. The E capital is similar in form to the 1st order W capital. Plain roll neckings and imposts as the first order. The arch has centripetal point-to-point chevron over a roll, with a lily in each trangular field on face and soffit. There is a chamfered label; with a row of billet on the chamfer.
|Height of opening||2.89m|
|Width of opening||1.51m|
Engaged nook-shafts on worn attic bases, carrying crosket capitals with plain roll neckings. Imposts are of the double-hollow type found on the N nave doorway, and the arch has an angle roll between quadrant hollows on face and soffit.
The bases are entirely and the jambs partly obscured by the masonry of the later porch, but what can be seen is similar to the 2nd order. The arches too repeat the 2nd order design. There is a half-roll label, and at its apex a worn human head with helmet-like hair and no surviving features.
19thc crocket capital with a collar of flat leaves below the crockets.
19thc copy of capital 2.
Engaged half-columns, partly concealed by the chancel screen, on spurred bases. The main faces of the capitals are concealed by the screen, but the angles and both side faces are visible. The N capital has a row of flat leaves rising from the necking, and above it, heavy crockets are visible on the angles to E and W. The S has fat crockets on the angles and palmettes below. Imposts have two deep hollows below a face with a lower angle roll, similar to those of the navel doorways. The arch has a fat keeled soffit roll flanked by a row of hyphenated chevron frontal to the soffit on either side.
Engaged nook-shafts on spurred attic bases. The capitals are flat leaf with pronounced volutes on the main angle leaves only. Imposts are as the 1st order. The arch has a keeled angle roll flanked by rows of back-to-back chevron, frontal to face and soffit.
Responds as the W face. The N capital is a crocket with a row of flat leaves below the main volutes; and the S is similarly crocketed but with stiff leaf in the lower register. Imposts are as the 1st order. The arch is similar to the E face. There is what must be called a label outside the arch, with 3 rows of frontal chevron; a thin roll between two fatter ones.
Large crockets on the angles, and on the face between them two flat leaves. The E scallops are backed by leaves with scalloped edges.
Crocket-like volutes at the angles with, on the main face between them, 3 units of a spade-shaped leaf flanked by curved, fluted upright leaves with spiral tips on the faces. This motif also appears once on each side face and is used on the W respond capitals of both nave arcades.
The pier is cylindrical with half a 12thc capital on the W side (the E side is moulded). The capital has angle volutes, spade-shaped leaves in the middle of each face, and on the W face further volutes tipped with lilies between the angles and the centre. Plain roll necking.
|Height of block||0.28m|
|Width of block||0.305m|
|Height of bowl with necking||0.26m|
|Height of bowl without necking||0.22m|
|Max. width of bowl (E-W)||0.45m|
|Max. width of bowl (N-S)||0.43m|
|Width of bowl interior||0.33m x 0.33m|
C. Bird, History of the War Memorial at St Nicholas’ Church. See http://www.castlehedingham.org/history/war-memorial.
J. Bettley and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Essex, New Haven and London 2007, 195-97.
J. Cooper, The Church Dedications and Saints’ Cults of Medieval Essex, Lancaster 2011, 139.
Essex Sites and Monuments Record 6785
Historic England Listed Building 114530.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Essex, Harmondsworth 1954, 99-101.
Victoria County History: Essex II (1907), 122-23 (on the nunnery)
T. Wright, The History and Topography of the County of Essex, I, 1836, 508-24.