Image of the feature "Fonts: Font" at Littlebury.
by Michael Pearson.
The font is positioned within the south aisle adjacent the tower side wall, beside the south door. It is enclosed within a later linen-fold oak panelled casing, and is only visible from the uncased rear (W) face. It consists of a plain square bowl with a slight chamfer to the edges. The basin is circular and lead lined. The bowl is carried on a heavy central polygonal shaft with slender shafts at the angles, chamfered to an octagonal section. Integral capitals are simply moulded, and the octagonal bases are chamfered. The shafts stand on a sqaure base block enclosed within the later wooden case, and this on a square chamfered plinth and a step extended to the E that carries a brass plate recording the restoration of the font in 1853.
|Height of base block||0.121 m|
|Height of font above base||0.972 m|
|Depth of basin||0.216m|
|Diameter of basin||0.540 m|
|External width of bowl E-W||0.724 m|
|External width of bowl N-S||0.724 m|
|Height of bowl||0.394 m|