Churchstanton is in the Taunton Deane district of Somerset, 6.4 miles S of Taunton, and less than 2 miles from the Devon border. In fact it was in Devon until 1896. The church stands on a minor road in the Blackdown Hills, with a few houses more or less nearby. According to the EH list description, the church is of the early-mid 14thc, and was restored c.1719 & from 1830. Construction is of squared and coursed chert, except for the west end and the tower, which are of chert with roughcast rendering and Hamstone dressings and quoins. The tower has a south-east stair turret, and there is a 4-bay nave and south aisle with a chapel, a blocked south porch, and a chancel set at an angle with the nave. The only Romanesque material is the font, said by Pevsner to be an unfinished example of the Bodmin type.
Churchstanton was held by Geron from Turstin fitzRolf in 1086, and before the Conquest by Aelfgifu. It was assessed at 3 hides with 7 acres of meadow, pasture 1½ leagues long by 1 league broad, and woodland 5 furlongs by 4 furlongs. No church or priest was recorded at that time. A market to be held at the manor was granted by Henry III to Roger de Rennes in 1223.
|Depth of basin||0.255m|
|Diameter of base||0.57m to 0.53m|
|Dimensions of bowl at top||0.665m x 0.695m|
|Height of base||0.36m|
|Height of bottom block +pedestal moulding||0.08m|
|Height of bowl||0.40m|
|Height of plinth||0.13m|
|Height of shafts||0.26m|
|Overall height of font||1.29m|
English Heritage Listed Building 271193.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, Harmondsworth 1958, 125.
Somerset County Council, Historic Environment Record 41177.