Donyatt is a string of houses and farms extending for approximately a mile along the A358, alongside the river Isle, 1½ miles SW of Ilminster in the district of South Somerset. The church is in the centre of the village, near the river. The sculpture discussed here is set into a fieldwall in the parish, in private hands and not open to public view. It is generally assumed to be associated with the parish church (although not necessarily the present building).
Donyatt was held by Adulf, Saewine and Dunstan as three manors before the Conquest, when it paid geld for 5 hides. In 1086 it was held by Drogo from Count Robert of Mortain. In addition to the ploughland there were recorded 20 acres of meadow, 50 acres of meadow (sic. presumably one of these is pasture) and a park, as well as a mill without rent.
|Height of block||0.290m|
|Width of block||0.255m|
M. Aston and T. Hall, 'Donyatt Park House', Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology & Natural History Society, 146 (2004), 206-08.
The Sheela-Na-Gig Project: The Donyatt Figure, (www.sheelanagig.org/)
Somerset County Council, Historic Environment Record 16719.