Charlynch is in N central Somerset, between the Quantocks and Bridgwater 4 miles to the E. It just about qualifies as a hamlet, consisting of the church and a couple of houses nearby on a minor road. The benefice was united with Spaxton in 1957, and in 1981 Charlynch church closed and the benefice was further united with Enmore and Goathurst. Charlynch church is now deconsecrated and in private hands.
It consists of a nave with a S porch and a transeptal S chapel; a chancel with vestry and organ chamber and a W tower, probably of 1867 and restored in 1887. The S doorway, chancel arch responds and font are 12thc work. Of these, the font has been removed to a private address which cannot be supplied, and is thus described here; the doorway is in-situ and described below, and the chancel arch responds are presumably still inside but were not accessible. They were seen by Pevsner and EH, whose comments are given below.
Alwig Banneson held both Charlynch and Currypool before the Conquest, and in 1086 both were held by Roger de Courcelles. By 1166 both were in the hands of Hugh Vautort, and they remained in this family until some time in the 14thc. The manor was generally known as Currypool, and the lords of the manor held the advowson of the church in the 13thc and 14thc. For more information, see VCH.
|Height of opening||2.30m|
|Height of outer arch above imposts||0.70m|
|Width of opening||1.22m|
|Width of outer arch||2.30m|
Plain and continuous with a segmental head.
Angle rolls on the jambs, treated as shafts with fictive cushion capitals and bases, the latter on chamfered plinths. Imposts are quirked chamfered and carry a plain unmoulded arch with a quirked chamfered label. At either end of the lable, on its soffit, is an eroded projection that was once a head, and a projection at the apex of the label may provide evidence of a mask that was once in that position.
|Ext. diameter of bowl at rim||0.66m|
|Height of bowl||0.35m|
|Int. diameter of bowl||0.51m|
|Circumference of stem||1.68m|
|Height of base||0.205m|
|Height of stem||0.16m|
|Height of torus at top of stem||0.0405m|
English Heritage Listed Building 269403
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Harmondsworth 1958, 119 (under Charlinch).
Somerset County Council, Historic Environment Record 13673.
Victoria County History: Somerset, VI (1992), 91-97. As Charlinch.