Barwick is in the south of the county on the Dorset border, 1½ miles S of Yeovil. The village lies 300m E of the Roman road from Ilchester (Lindinis) to Dorchester (Durnovaria), now the A37, with the church just outside it to the NW. It dates largely from the 13thc, and is of Hamstone roughly squared & coursed, with ashlar dressings. It has a 2-bay chancel and a 3-bay aisled nave with a S porch. The tower is at the NE corner. The chancel was rebuilt in 1855 reusing earlier fragments. The font is the only Romanesque feature.
Barwick is not mentioned by name in the Domesday Survey. In 1228 Henry III granted a fair, and in 1231 a market, both to William de Cantilupe and both to be held at the manor.
|Circumference of base||2.06m|
|Circumference of bowl||1.94m|
|Circumference of stem||1.91m|
|Depth of bowl||0.25m|
|Ext. diameter of bowl||0.63m|
|h of base||0.33m|
|h of bowl (incl. lower cable band)||0.31m|
|h of stem||0.12m|
|Int. diameter of bowl||0.48m|
|Overall h of font||0.78m|
English Heritage Listed Building 263559.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, Harmondsworth 1958, 84.
N. Pevsner and J. Sherwood, The Buildings of England. Oxfordshire, Harmondsworth 1974, 763.
Somerset County Council, Historic Environment Record 50350.
G Waldron, Guide to Barwick Church, 1968.