The church consists of a nave, S aisle, S transept, chancel and a tower at the W end of the nave. The key Norman features are the S arcade, a window opening on the S wall of the nave and some loose fragments found at the end of the S aisle.
Domesday Book lists Earl Algar as the lord in TRE; King William held the land in 1986. Walton was taxable at 6 geld units. There is no mention of the church but there must have been one shortly afterwards erected by Hugh Lupus, the first Earl of Chester, who was granted the royal manor at Walton.
The upper, chamfered part of the capital is carved with what looks like a rounded and softened version of a scallop with sheathed cones, but instead of with shields, the cones' ends are widened and rounded. In the lower part of the capital, under a single roll moulding, a plain band terminates with a wide roll necking. Diagonal tooling is very prominent on the impost, the column, and the masonry above and behind, but not so much on the capital.
The upper, chamfered part of the capital carries a series of narrow leaves, spreading upwards, with the crowns of the leaves resting on a single narrow roll moulding that can be seen between the leaves. Between the lower parts of the leaves a narrow vertical moulding resembles stalks inserted between each leaf. Above the leaves is another roll moulding, slightly chamfered at the top, just below the abacus. This is mirrored by a single roll moulding below, separating the decorated part from the plain band below. The capital has a thick roll necking. The abacus is chamfered at the bottom, with an angle roll and a quirk on the upright. The tooling, as in E respond, is different on the capital and the surrounding masonry.
This capital is split in half along the EW axis. The necking and lower part of the capital as in other capitals of this arcade, while the upper part is carved with a series of rounded scallops running neatly thought the middle of the otherwise plain chamfered upper band of the capital. The abacus as in pier 1.
The abacus, necking, and the lower part of the capital as in pier 1. The chamfered upper part of the capital has a row of treffoil leaves running between the two roll mouldings. The stems of the leaves are thick and expand at the top. The rounded middle part of the leaf is flanked by two pointed and quirked leaves on each side.
F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications or England’s Patron Saints, London 1899, III, 293.
J. Charles Cox, Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. 3, Chesterfield Palmer and Sons & London: Bemorse and Sons, 1877.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Derbyshire, London: Butler and Tanner, 1953.