The church consists of an aisleless nave, a chancel, W tower and a S porch. The nave and the western part of the chancel are of Saxon origin. The 12thc features include the N doorway, S doorway with a tympanum, and a tub-shaped font and base.
In 1066 Coln Rogers was held by Baldwin son of Herlewin; in 1086 the manor was held by King William. It was taxable at 10 geld units. No church but a priest mentioned at Coln Rogers in the Domesday Book. In 1150, a knight Roger of Gloster gave Colne on the Hills to the Monks at Gloucester. It was then called Culne Rogers.
|Height incl necking of L capital||0.24 m|
|Height incl necking of R capital||0.24 m|
|Height of L capital||0.22 m|
|Height of R capital||0.22 m|
|Width of E face of R capital||0.165 m|
|Width of N face of L capital||0.165 m|
|Width of N face of R capital||0.165 m|
|Width of W face of L capital||0.165 m|
A continuous engaged order. The shaft is keeled within a cavetto moulding, no bases. At the springing point the original keeled slim shaft becomes a five-part cusped doorhead, probably of a later date.
The order contains plinths, waterholding bases, and keeled nook shafts. The capitals have trumpet scallops, one per face with a recessed field contiguous to the recessed filed of the impost integral to the capital. The necking is a plain roll, the impost has a quirk and a hollow chamfer. The arch is square, without mouldings.
|Height incl necking of capitals||0.17 m|
|Width of capital faces||0.16 m|
|Height now||0.62 m|
|Original height||0.665 m|
The engaged nook shafts stand on plinths and attic bases; the scallop capitals have plain roll necking. The capitals have two scallops per face, the L with a shallow tuck on the angle, the R with a deeper tuck. The imposts are worn, with plain with a chamfered lower edge. The arch is sqaure and plain.
The tympanum is monolithic. The recessed plain field is contained within a continuous plain border, the lower edge forming the lintel. The lower portion of the stone has been later rebated to accommodate the wooden door battens.
|Circumference at base||1.99 m|
|Circumference at rim||3.423 m|
|Diameter of inner opening||0.621 m|
|Height of base||0.261 m|
|Height of bowl||0.88 m|
|Width of side 1||0.0322 m|
|Width of side 2||0.035 m|
|Width of side 3||0.0321 m|
|Width of side 4||0.0240 m|
|Width of side 5||0.033 m|
|Width of side 6||0.0298 m|
Anon. Church guide, n.d.
F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications or England’s Patron Saints, London 1899, III, 93.
A. Fryer, 'Gloucestershire Fonts' Trans Bristol and Gloucester Arch Soc. 36 1913 176; xli, 196, 197, 198, figs. 81-83, 86, 91.
Historic England Building Listing 1340898
C.E. Keyser 'Visit to the Churches of Barnsley, Bibury, Aldsworth, Winson, Coln Rogers, and Coln St. Denys' Trans Bristol and Gloucester Arch Soc 41 1918 171-204
C. E. Keyser, 'An essay on the Norman doorways in the county of Gloucester', in Memorials of Old Gloucestershire, London 1911.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Gloucestershire 1: The Cotswolds, Harmondsworth 1979, 195-97.
M. Salter, The Old Parish Churches of Gloucestershire Malvern 2008 53-55
H.M. Taylor and J. Taylor, Anglo-Saxon Architecture Vol 1 Cambridge 1965. 168-70
E. Tyrell-Green, Baptismal Fonts, Classified and Illustrated, London 1928, 18.
Victoria County History of Gloucestershire, Vol 9 London 2001 21-30
D. Verey and A. Brooks, The Buildings of England, Gloucestershire I: the Cotswolds (3rd edition) London 1999 296-297