Image of the feature "III. Exterior Features: 1. Doorways: N doorway into nave." at Marton-cum-Grafton.
by Rita Wood.
Lunn (1879-80, 228) describes the nave doorway in the old church as ‘perfectly plain… its tympanum filled with cobbles, and the semicircular arch was very faulty.’ It was then in the usual position, on the S side of the nave near the W end. On resetting it was placed in the N wall as that is the side nearest the village. Plain voussoirs, 'Norman abaci and plinths found in the rubble' were added to repair the opening, and a ‘small early cross’, part of a grave-slab, was inserted among the cobbles (Lunn 1879-80, 234).
The doorway has: a one-step chamfered plinth; jambs plain and square; impost chamfered and plain with a strong groove at the angle; a worn lintel with a new stone inserted halfway; the tympanum filled with cobbles and the ‘sepulchral’ fragment; a plain square arch of voussoirs.
For the fragmentary grave-slab, see Comments.
|Height of opening||2.06 m|
|Height of recessed area of tympanum||0.37 m approx.|
|Width of opening||1.06 m|