Font from SE.

Image of the feature "Fonts: Font" at Glasshoughton.

by Rita Wood.

The font is in three sections, a bowl, stem and plinth, each of which may be of medieval origin. Surfaces are smooth and show no tooling, but the general form suggests that the bowl and stem, at least, could be 12thc. 

The stone used is slightly different in each section: the stem, or support of the bowl, is in a fine-grained light pink sandstone; whereas a moderately coarse sandstone, medium pink, slightly banded, and with occasional iron spots, was used for the bowl.

The plain and square plinth has been coated with a plaster or cement to even out damage.

The flat-topped stem has a square core with integral shafts of three-quarter section on the angles.

The squat rounded bowl has four rounded stubs that fit the columns. The top is smoothly rounded; the rim reworked, and a slight horizontal facet can be seen in some lights, which could have taken the wooden lid without a rebate; there is no mark of any fitting for a medieval locking device. The basin has been filled in modern times to make a shallow saucer for water. 

Although it seems that the font was in use at Castleford in 1862, or at least inside the church, before it was sent to Glasshoughton, it is said to have been outside and used as a bird bath. This would account for the shallow bowl, and the lack of a drainage hole. The draining pipe now on the N side of the font is no longer functional.


Diameter of interior of basin 0.575m
Exterior diameter approx. 0.63m
Height of lower section 0.64m
Height of upper section 0.395m
Overall height 1.035m
Side of plinth 0.63m