Nidd is a village 3 miles N of Harrogate, sited by a river of the same name. The present church was built in 1866 by Healey. However, it incorporates material from an old church on the same site. Lunn, 1870, 47, describes it, saying ‘the original chancel arch was Norman, but too decayed to be preserved’. He says the old church 'had nave and chancel with a western double bell-cot erected about 1750, and a south porch'. He mentions that the E window, the font and 'a few fragments' were retained for the new building. The outer entrance to the porch may have 13th century parts (Pevsner 1967, 378)
A painting of the old church is on the N wall, reproduced in Butler 1997, 9/10. The photograph shows a small building of nave and chancel with a simple porch and W bell-cote. The present church has a nave with S porch, N aisle; chancel and organ chamber; W tower.
There is a simple font still in use and a broken water stoup in the tower.
There is no mention of a church in DB, and Nidd was an outlier to the manor of St Wilfrid’s Territory, Ripon. About 1320, it is supposed the church was damaged by Scots incursions - compare Marton cum Grafton, Boroughbridge, etc.
|External diameter of bowl||0.705m|
|Height of font above circular plinth||0.653m|
|Ht. of plinth||0.17m|
|Internal diameter of bowl||0.48m|
|Depth of hollow for water||0.105m|
|Max. overall ht.||0.79m|
|Side of base||0.32m|
|Side of top||0.35m|
R. H. P. Butler, A History of the Manor of Nidd (Nidd, 1997).
J. R. Lunn, The Ecclesiology of the Rural Deanery of Knaresborough (York, 1870).