The church consists of a chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch and W tower. Portions of the fabric of the Norman church remain with herringbone masonry evident in the walls. The N arcade is 13thc. and the S side of the chancel has a 13thc. window, whilst the straight headed window in the N wall of the chancel and those of the N aisle are 14thc. The S porch has 14thc. timbers but was rebuilt in 1923. The Romanesque features are the chancel arch and the font. The W tower, though essentially Romanesque in date, has later openings.
Laneham is mentioned in the Domesday Survey in the lands of the Archbishop of York and as having a church and priest.
|h. of opening||2.40 m|
|w. of opening||1.22 m|
Plain and continuous with an angle roll.
Water holding bases on plinths. Plain en delit nook shafts. Waterleaf capitals with hollow chamfered imposts and roll neckings. The W capital and impost with a major loss to the S face. The arch has lateral face and soffit chevrons, carved point-to-point chevron, the face chevrons have a foliage infill in the triangles.
As second order with no major losses to the sculpture.
|h. of S capital||0.21 m|
|w. of opening||3.43 m|
|w. of S capital||0.31 m|
Plain square jambs and arch with plain chamfered imposts between.
Engaged (coursed) nook shafts.
N capital: a replacement.
S captial: multi-scallp with thin, shallow cones (four on the N face and three on the W) and small shields, with an angle tuck. There is a loss at top centre of the W face. Plain necking.
In the arch is a plain nook-roll.
|Ext. diam. at rim||0.74 m|
|Thickness of rim||0.10 m|