The church comprises nave with S porch, chancel, N aisle, N aisle chapel and W tower. Mainly 15thc. Restored 1863. It has a plain reset 12thc. S doorway to the nave. Romanesque sculpture is found on the font.
DS records that Alverdiscott belonged to the Count of Mortain, and was held from him by Erchenbald. Before 1066 it was held by Ordwulf.
|depth of bowl||0.17m|
|h. of bowl||0.27 m|
|total h. of font||1.14 m|
|w. of bowl||0.55 m x 0.54 m|
F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications: or, England's patron saints, London, 1899, 31.
K. M. Clarke, 'The Baptismal Fonts of Devon,' part 5, Transactions of the Devonshire Association, 51, 1919, 217-8
C. and F. Thorn (eds) Domesday Book: Devon, Chichester, 1985, 15, 39.
N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, The Buildings of England: Devon, 1952, revised 1989, 123.