Romanesque corbel set into the facade of the 19thc. Roman Catholic Church along with a later medieval carved head, and two pieces of chevron, incorporated into the gateposts of Cadamstown house. These pieces of sculpture reputedly came from Leitir church.
The monastery at Leitir was founded in the 6thc. by a disciple of St. Ciaran of Clonmacnois along the Slí Mor - one of the great Irish Medieval roads which linked Tara, Co. Meath with Roscrea, Co. Tipperary. Although not well documented in the annals, by the 12thc. the monastery appears to have become a place of note. In 1205 Domhnall, king of Eile was buried there. The church was destroyed in 1650. Chambers records a stone building, orientated east west close to Leitir House, which was associated with the main church buildings. Reputedly material from this structure was used in the construction of Ballyboy mill in 1831 and the facing of Cadamstown church in 1842.
E. Fitzpatrick, P. Heany and A. Rosse, The Wet Hillside of Saint Lugna, Offaly, 1995.