A single cell church (25.9 m x 7.26 m) constructed from roughly coursed basalt with limestone detailing. The church has doors in N and S walls, an E window of 17thc. date and two narrow-headed lancets in the N wall. The aumbry, in the S wall, is richly moulded and dates to the early 13thc. The entire church was used for worship until 1827, when the nave was shortened to 16.15 m. The remaining section of the nave was left unroofed. It ceased to be used for worship in 1842.
Nothing is known of the early history of the site.
|depth of opening||0.3 m|
|external height||1.08 m|
|external width||0.64 m|
|height of opening||0.7 m|
|width of opening||0.34 m|
A. Day, P. McWilliams, L. English, eds., O.S. Memoirs for Londonderry 12, 33, Belfast and Dublin, 1995, 32–4.
B. Kalkreuter, Boyle Abbey and the School of the West, Dublin, 2001.
F. W. Lockwood, 'Ballywillan Church, Co. Antrim’, Royal Historical and Archaeological Association Journal, 7, Series 4, Part 1 (1885), 159–60.
A. Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North-west Ulster, London,1979, 462–3.