The tiny roofless oratory, known as the Priests' House, lies to the SW of the cathedral. Its internal dimensions are 4.40 m by 2.33 m. There is a narrow door in the S wall and a curious blind arch in the E wall, the latter decorated with Romanesque ornament. As Leask noted, except for the first two or three courses of masonry, the structure is a restoration. Unfortunately the Office of Public Works based their reconstruction in the 1870s on Beranger's drawing of 1779, which did not give an accurate impression of the medieval building.
|depth of lintel||0.23 m|
|height of lintel||0.23 m|
|width of lintel||0.62 m|
|maximum width of opening||2.16 m|
G. L. Barrow, Glendalough and Saint Kevin, Dundalk, 1972, 33–7.
Glendalough, Co. Wicklow, Official Historical and Descriptive Guide, Dublin, n.d., 18–20.
R. Moss, 'The Priests' House Glendalough', BA dissertation, Trinity College Dublin, 1992.