The small village of Glympton lies in the valley of the river Glyme, 10 miles NW of Oxford. The church is hidden within the Glympton estate, accessible by public footpath from the village or by road via the N Lodge. A church was in existence on this site by the early 12thc, presumably consisting of a nave and chancel. The nave was rebuilt during the later Middle Ages. The W tower was largely rebuilt in the 16thc or 17thc, but the original internal Transitional tower arches were retained and its external walls include fragments of decorated Romanesque stone. The chancel arch was replaced and widened in 1849, re-using the original responds and probably simulating the Romanesque arch. In 1872 there was a thorough restoration by George Edmund Street, who rebuilt the chancel and its roof, and also added a S doorway, porch, vestry and new nave windows. The Romanesque features are fragments of zigzag and a possible corbel re-used in the tower, the chancel arch responds and capitals, part of the nave walls with internal corbels, and the decorated font. An inscription mounted in the chancel may also be Romanesque.
Glympton is presumed to have been held by Edward, whose boundary touched the neighbouring parish of Wootton in 958, and later by Aegelric of Glympton who witnessed a charter c.1050. In 1066 Glympton, together with estates in Wootton, Finmere and Hethe, was held freely of Edward the Confessor by Wulfward the White, who survived the Conquest, but by 1086 it was part of the fee of Geoffrey, Bishop of Coutances. It presumably passed with Geoffrey's other lands to his nephew Robert de Mowbray, earl of Northumberland, and was forfeited to the Crown on his rebellion in 1095. The Bishop's tenant in 1086 was William, perhaps the ancestor of the next recorded lord, Sir Geoffrey de Clinton (Henry I's chamberlain), who first appears c.1110, and certainly held Glympton by 1122. He gave Glympton to his brother William, who was succeeded by his son Ralph. From Ralph it went to his brother Jordan de Clinton (d.1189), who had exchanged it with Geoffrey's grandson, Henry de Clinton.
The church was in existence by the early 12thc when Manasser Arsic gave it 1.5 hides in Ludwell (Ledwell, nearby). Geoffrey de Clinton gave Glympton church to his new foundation, Kenilworth priory, in 1122. The Priory’s right to it was challenged twice, unsuccessfully (VCH).
The original dedication was to St Laurence, but it was changed to St Mary by the early 18thc, although the parish wake was still kept on or near St Laurence’s day (VCH). However, Frances Arnold-Forster (1899) does not recognise the early dedication to St Laurence. The church is now in the United Benefice of Wootton, Glympton and Kiddington.
|N face, 3 stones, average height||0.11m|
|N face, 3 stones, total length||0.84m|
At a height of 1.52m above ground level, and approximately 2m from the NW corner, there are three contiguous stones, each featuring triple zigzags. An isolated stone, further E at the same height, also bears triple zigzags, and a higher one shows two and a half.
Above the porch roof there are two single stones, each bearing three raised zigzags. Each stone is very slightly curved downwards.
Between the W window and the bell opening, six single pieces of re-used stone are inserted in the wall. Two stones each carry two zigzags, and three carry triple zigzags (one is mounted with the curve facing upwards). One square stone bears two eyes, with eyebrow-like double ridges, and has a straight sill at the top as on a corbel.
E face: plain, decorated only by the continuous imposts that wrap around from the W face, hollow-chamfered below a vertical face with saltire-in-square above. Probably original on S side, restored on N.
W face: L nookshaft engaged, plain. Base obscured by stone steps to pulpit. Necking plain, damaged. The capital is probably recut and features three scallops with tucks on E and S faces. Each face has two plain shields above, with a central lower one for the central scallop. Continuous imposts as E face. The wide respond on the N side has continuous imposts as E face, otherwise is plain except for a stone plaque with an inscription (see below). R nookshaft, as L. Base below floor level. The capital shows a design only on the upper half: W and N faces bear two upright leaves and a small central one between them, with a shared corner volute. The continuous impost is similar to L nookshaft, and looks original.
W face: L nookshaft as first order, but capital damaged by having most of the scallops on the W side sliced off. R nookshaft, base, shaft and neck as first order. Capital, W and N faces bear three scallops with tucks, the corner scallop being shared.
|Depth of stone||0.23m|
|Height of stone||0.22m|
|Width of stone||0.30m|
The letters are uneven, incised 1-2mm deep, in three lines that fill the entire field, reading as follows:
This translates as ‘THIS CHURCH WAS DEDICATED ON THE IDES OF MARCH’. The second ‘D’ of ‘DEDICATION’, and the ‘D’ of ‘IDES’, are manifest as ‘O’s. The ‘T’s both have tails pointing to the right, like a reverse of ‘J’. The ‘M’ of ‘TEMPLII’ is written normally, but that of ‘MARTII’ is written with two upturned conjoined ‘U’ shapes. The letters vary in height from 19 to 40mm, the upper row being largest. None of the letters, nor the stone, is damaged.
Reading E to W:
N1: A grotesque head with oval eyes and three vertical ridges that run down to possible lips at mouth level.
N2: A human head with eyes, eyebrow ridges, nose, and a wide upturned moustache, with a mouth below it.
N3: A human head with eyes, nose, a large downturned moustache and a small pursed mouth below it.
Reading E to W:
S1: A man, his arms akimbo, wears a garment with sleeves hanging in reeded folds over his forearms, and trousers. His head, a simple triangle, has eyes, nose, mouth and a small chin.
S2: Possibly a ram’s head with round horns at the sides.
S3: A grotesque head with eyes, nose and a mouth with teeth. Flaps like ears beside the cheeks.
|External diameter of bowl||0.74m|
|Height of bowl||0.50m|
|Internal diameter of bowl||0.59m|
F. E. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications: Or, England's Patron Saints, London, 1899, 3 vols.
J. Bertram, Medieval Inscriptions in Oxfordshire, Oxoniensia, 68, 2003, 37-39.
J. Sherwood and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, Harmondsworth, 1974, 612-3.
Victoria County History: Oxfordshire, 11 (1983), 128-130.