X

St Michael and All Angels, Hilperton, Wiltshire

Download as PDF

Feature Sets (2)

Description

The largely 15th-century church consists of a chancel, nave, a 13th-century W tower, and S porch. The font is the only Romanesque carving in the building.

History

At the time of Domesday Book, Ansger the cook, Godwine 'Clec', William Corniole, and Ealdhild, held estates at Hilperton. Ealdhild's husband held her land there before the Conquest. No church is mentioned.

Features

Furnishings

Fonts

Font

The 12th-century font bowl was found in a pond in the churchyard at Whaddon, and mounted on a 19th-century shaft and base. The main decoration of the bowl is a blind arcade, 0.19m high, with the shafts between the arches treated like small piers with attached shafts. Below there is a band of shallow moulding resembling sawtooth. Above the arches there are small vine leaves. Around the top of the font is a band of decoration that consists of a row of small plants with horizontal leaves.

Dimensions
Circumference around the lowest band of decoration 2.24m
Circumference at top of bowl 2.43m
Height of bowl 0.48m

Comments/Opinions

The church was largely rebuilt in 1852 by TH Wyatt.

Bibliography

  • F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications or England’s Patron Saints, London 1899, III, 152.

  • DCMS Listing Description

  • N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth 1975, 2nd edition, 171.

  • Victoria County History of Wiltshire, Volume VII, 86-91, esp. 88-9.

Location

Site Location
Hilperton
National Grid Reference
ST 872 593 
Boundaries
now: Wiltshire
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Wiltshire
Diocese
medieval: Old Sarum
now: Salisbury
Dedication
medieval: St Michael
now: St Michael and All Angels
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
Allan Brodie 
Visit Date
16 April 2004