This small church consists of a chancel, a nave, and a large double-storied N porch, that was meant to carry a tower (Pevsner, 282). The 19th-century timber chancel arch sits on short shafts with reset 12th-century capitals. The nave, though restored in 1874-6, is Norman in origin, with an early 12th-century S door. A slab that is now part of the altar is also Norman.
At the time of the Domesday Survey estates at Knook were held by Alweard Colling and Leofgyth, whose husband held land there before the Conquest. There was a mill, 5 acres of meadow and a pasture.
|Height of opening||2.33m|
|Width of opening||1.13m|
F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications or England’s Patron Saints, London 1899, III, 173.
DCMS Listing Description.
N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth 1975, 2nd edition, 282-3.