The church is at the S end of the village, near the gate to Everingham Park.
The early 13thc tower is made of stone and was renovated in 1588. Entrance is through the W doorway in the tower, which is covered by a modern porch. The nave and apsed sanctuary are made of 18thc brick probably subsequent to the building of Everingham Hall perhaps by John Carr. There are no plans in the faculty papers, Borthwick 1763/1.
The medieval church is likely to have been the first home of the Everingham font (see separate report); until recently the only font in the church was ‘an apothecary’s basin’ (Allen 1831, II, 236, quoted in Morris 1919, 149-50). This basin and a recently-acquired Victorian font flank the tower arch.
The tower arch to the nave is round-headed, and described by Morris as ‘plain semi-circular head, on distinctly Early English jambs’ (Morris, 1919, 149, 150); he is doubtful that the parts are in situ. The large size of the voussoirs of the single order arch, which has no label, suggests that the whole structure is not relevant to the Romanesque corpus.
There is some elaborated string course on the three exterior faces of the tower.
Everingham (3 carucates) had the berewicks of Londesborough (7½), Tolthorpe (3) and Goodmanham (4). The Domesday Book records that Archbishop Eldred had held all this for one manor. Under Archbishop Thomas ‘2 clerks and 1 knight have this land.’ The value had fallen from £14 to £6 (VCH II, 211).
Adam de Everingham held land for the service of butler to the archbishop on the day of his enthronement (Lawton 1842, 338). Perhaps within this manor the knight was based here, and the two clerks were based at Londesbrough and at Goodmanham. By the 14thc the family ‘de Everingham’ were presenting to the living.
Faculty papers, Borthwick Institute, Fac. 1763/1.
T. Allen, A New and Complete History of the County of York. London 1829-1831.
G. Lawton, Collectio rerum ecclesiasticarum de diocesi Eboracensi; or, collections relative to churches and chapels within the Diocese of York. To which are added collections relative to churches and chapels within the diocese of Ripon. New edition, London, 1842.
J. E. Morris, The East Riding of Yorkshire. 2nd ed. (1906), 1919.
N. Pevsner & D. Neave, Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, 2nd. ed., London, 1995, 411.
H. E. C. Stapleton, A history of St. Everilda’s church and the village of Everingham. No place, 1965, 2nd. edition, 1996.
Victoria County History: Yorkshire. II (General volume, including Domesday Book) 1912, reprinted 1974.