Dinnington is a village in the South Somerset district of the county, 5 miles E of Chard and on the Fosse Way(now just a minor road at this point). The village is clustered on the Roman road and a network of side roads. The church is on the E edge of the village, and comprises just a 2-bay chancel and a 3- bay nave, with a S porch and a bell-cote on the W gable, all in Hamstone ashlar. It is mostly 15thc in date and was restored in 1863. The only Romanesque feature is the font.
Siward, one of the king’s thegns, held the manor of Dinnington in 1086. It consisted of 3 hides of which 3 virgates were held from the church of Glastonbury, the rest directly from the king. It also contained 8 acres of meadow, pasture 3 furlongs by 2, and woodland also 3 furlongs by 2. It had been held by Eadmaer before the Conquest.
|Circumference of base||1.52m|
|Circumference of bowl||1.80m|
|Circumference of stem||1.00m|
|Exterior diameter of bowl||0.59m|
|Interior diameter of bowl||0.465m|
|Depth of basin||0.23m|
|Height of base||0.14m|
|Height of bowl (including torus below)||0.38m|
|Height of plinth||0.20m|
|Height of stem||0.17m|
|Overall height of font||0.93m|
English Heritage Listed Building 264091
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Harmondsworth 1958, 149.
Somerset County Council, Historic Environment Record 56686.
Victoria County History: Somerset, IV (1978), 147-51.