The church has chancel, nave with N and S aisles and S porch, W tower, and a vestry attached to the E of the chancel. The church was entirely rebuilt c. 1450, and restored in 1899 by G. Fellowes Prynne. The fabric is substantially of granite with some shale-type stone. The font is the only 12thc. feature.
Before the Conquest Sampford Courtenay was held by Northmann. After the Conquest it was held by Baldwin the sheriff who was also tenant-in-chief.
|height of bowl||0.32 m|
|total height||0.95 m|
|width of bowl||0.74 m x 0.73 m|
C. and F. Thorn (eds) Domesday Book: Devon, Chichester, 1985, 16, 14.
F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications: or, England's patron saints, London, 1899, 246.
N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, The Buildings of England: Devon, 2nd ed., London, 1989, 714–5.