X

St James, Chilton Cantelo, Somerset

Download as PDF

Feature Sets (2)

Description

Chilton Cantelo is 4 mls. NNE of Yeovil. The church is cruciform, with a 3-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and an added S porch and W tower. Construction is of ocal stone cut and squared, with hamstone dressings and bands. It was restored 1864-5 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. The only Romanesque feature is the font.

History

Chilton Cantelo was held by Aelfstan of Boscombe in 1066, when it paid geld for 1 hide, and by Warner from William de Eu in 1086.

Features

Furnishings

Fonts

Font

The font, of Hamstone or similar, is sited at the NE angle of SW part of church. It  consists of a tub-shaped bowl, chamfered in its lower part, on a cylindrical stem that stands on a square, slightly bulbous base marked at each corner with a fan of 6 grooves. This stands on a plinth of two blocks, that under the font being square.

The large bowl shows fairly regular horizontal tooling. The fine lead lining (cf. the neighbouring parish church of Marston Magna) comes up to and over the rim and down the outside. The bowl’s internal sides taper before curving slightly into a flattish bottom. There are two metal brackets on the rim, which itself is relatively broad (again, cf. Marston Magna).

The condition of the font is good.

Dimensions
1
Height of base 0.14m
Height of bowl 0.48m
Height of plinth 0.14m
Height of stem 0.20m
Overall height of font 0.99m
2
Circumference of stem 1.77m
Depth of bowl 0.335m
Dimensions of base 0.75m x 0.75m
Dimensions of base 0.75m x 0.75m
Dimensions of plinth 1.50m x 0.915m
External diameter of bowl 0.90m
Internal diameter of bowl 0.67m
Thickness of rim 0.12m

Comments/Opinions

Bibliography

  • English Heritage Listed buildingĀ 262619

  • F. Goulding, Ashington, Chilton Cantelo, Mudford - the Story of Three Somerset Parishes, 1982

  • N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Harmondsworth 1958, 124.

Location

Site Location
Chilton Cantelo
National Grid Reference
ST 570 221 
Boundaries
now: Somerset
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Somerset
Diocese
now: Bath & Wells
medieval: Sherborne (to 909), Wells (to 1090), Bath (to 1245), Bath & Wells (from 1245)
Dedication
medieval: not confirmed
now: St James
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
Robin Downes 
Visit Date
17 November 2005