Maperton is a village in the South Somerset district of the county, 3 miles SW of Wincanton, on the S side of the A303 trunk road. The village is clustered around the junction of the three minor roads, with the church at its centre. The church consists of a three-bay chancel, a four-bay nave with a S porch, small N and S transepts, and a W tower. The tower is late 15thc, and the remainder was rebuilt in 1869. Construction is of local stone cut and squared, with Doulting or Ham stone dressings. The font is Romanesque, as are a carved head reset in the porch and another in the tower. The worn lower stone of a niche in the porch is also included here, although a Romanesque date is by no means secure.
Maperton was held by Alwold in 1066, but by 1086 it had passed to Goisfrid who held it from Turstin fitzRolf. The manor descended with North Cadbury, the overlordship passing from Turstin to Wynebald de Ballon (1092), and thence to his daughter Wynebald’s son Henry Newmarch (d.1198), who was succeeded by his two sons William (d.1204) and James (d.1216) in turn. The later history may be seen on the VCH website.
|Distance from outer portal arch||0.12m|
|Height above pavement||2.00m|
|Height above pavement||0.90m|
|Height of cill stone||0.26m|
|Maximum width of cill stone at top||0.36m|
|Distance from W wall||0.535m|
|Height above pavement||1.44m|
|Height of head||0.085m|
|Width of head||0.08m|
|Circumference of base||2.18m|
|Circumference of stem||1.51m|
|Dimensions of plinth||0.83m x 0.83m|
|External width of bowl (across flats)||0.75m|
|Internal diameter of bowl||0.60m|
|Depth of basin||0.31m|
|Height of base||0.20m|
|Height of bowl (inc. lower torus)||0.41m|
|Height of plinth||0.08m|
|Height of stem||0.33m|
|Overall height of font||1.04m|
English Heritage Listed Building 262062
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Harmondsworth 1958, 229.
Somerset County Council, Historic Environment Record 52179
Victoria County History, Somerset XI. Draft Text accessed 28/09/12.