Lockerley is in W central Hampshire, five miles NW of Romsey and two miles from the Wiltshire border. The river Dun, a tributary of the Test, runs SE to the N and E of the church, and sheep are pastured in the fields nearby. Lockerley has no village centre, but consists of houses along the road from East Tytherley, a mile to the N. The church is at the S end of this road, with Lockerley Hall a mile to the N, closer to East Tytherley.
The present church was built by Colson in 1889-90 in grey rough-dressed ashlar with yellowish ashlar dressings in a mixture of styles with 14thc and 15thc details. It consists of a nave with a SW tower incorporating a porch; N and S transepts and a chancel with a N vestry. The tower has an ashlar broach spire, and the N transept now houses the organ. In the W wall of the S transept is a plain, tiny round-headed lancet with a continuous rebate on the outer face. It formerly stood in the churchyard, and must have come from a 12thc church. The only Romanesque sculpture recorded here is a plain cylindrical font bowl now in the S porch.
According to the Domesday Survey, the Archbishop of York held the church of Mottisfont and its six chapels at Broughton, Pittleworth, West Tytherley, East Tytherley, East Dean and Lockerley. These were held both before the Conquest and in 1086. Hugh de Port held Lockerley as a manor, and it was held by Sterre before the Conquest. It consisted of one hide of ploughland, six acres of meadow and woodland for three pigs, but the ploughland was put into the King’s forest by William I. Another manor was held by Wulfric, and his father held it before the Conquest. This paid geld for just half a virgate of ploughland.
A market and a fair were granted in 1271 by Henry II to Matthew de Columbariis.
|Ext. diameter of bowl at rim||0.67m|
|Int. diameter of bowl at rim||0.49m|
|Max. height of bowl||0.56m|
N. Pevsner and D. Lloyd, The Buildings of England. Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. Harmondsworth 1967, 322.
Victoria County History: Hampshire. IV(1911), 500-02.