Remarkably sequestered in the upper valley of the Cam Brook, the tiny hamlet consists of little more than church, manor house and farm. Although only 1.3kms W of the main A37 (connecting the English Channel coast with Bristol, 15kms N) at Temple Cloud, Cameley is remote. (It should be noted, however, that the parish extends E across the A37, to include Temple Cloud.) The narrow lane running along the valley is an exclusively local road. Before motor vehicles, the area would have been less isolated; if one follows the stream from its source, 2kms NW of the hamlet at the N end of White Hill, for an easterly journey of about 20kms to its junction with Wellow Brook at Midford soon after one reaches the major river Avon at a point only about 8kms upstream from Bath. The church rests on the ubiquitous Mercia Mudstone (formerly called Keuper Marl) at an altitude of about 110m above the OD.
The church consists of nave with S porch, chancel and W tower. Of these the tower is 15thc, and the remainder is substantially of the late 12thc. Construction is of rubble stone and dressed stone copings to the nave and chancel, with render on the nave N wall, while the tower is of squared but irregular coursed red and grey sandstone with limestone dressings. The church was closed in 1980 and vested in the Churches Conservation Trust in 1981. The dedication to St James of Compostella was noted by Faith (2009), 59-86.
Like much of Somerset, Cameley was held by the Bishop of Coutances in 1086. In 1066 it had been held by two thegns. It was assessed at 9 hides and ½ virgate.
In one account the manor was given to the church of St Peter in Bath by Alexander de Alneto in 1153. On the other hand, it appears to have been in the possession of William de Marisco, a descendant of the Alnetos, in the 1280s. The church was certainly appropriated to the abbey of St Peter and St Paul in Bath.
|Height of opening||2.42m|
|Width of opening||0.98m|
Plain and continuous with a hollow chamfer.
Polygonal detached nook-shafts carrying capitals without neckings. The W is a crocket capital with 2 rows of stiff-leaf; the E a double trumpet scallop, the shields on each face recessed and connected in the middle, and the cones with individual pseudo-neckings at the bottom. Imposts have undercut roll faces above hollows. The arch has diagonal fret on face and soffit, i.e. lozenges in high relief separated by an angle roll. The label is a half-roll that is mitred to the imposts at either end.
Plain, unmoulded jambs and arch. Plain chamfered imposts cut back flush with the wall on the E face, and with a section cut out, perhaps for a screen, on the S side of the W face. A running foliage scroll in red paint survives on the W arch face.
|Depth of basin||0.29m|
|Height of bowl||0.36m|
|Height of font||0.88m|
|Height of stem (including cable at top)||0.23m|
|Circumference of stem||1.36m|
|External dimensions of bowl||0.645m x 0.65m|
|Internal dimensions of bowl||0.46m x 0.475m|
J. Blair, ‘A Romanesque timber beakhead from Cameley, Somerset’, Antiquaries Journal 1991, 252-264.
J. Collinson, The History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset, 2 vols, Bath 1791, II, 125-26.
J. Faith, The Knights Templar in Somerset, Stroud 2009, 59-86
Historic England listed building 32737.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol. Harmondsworth 1958, 150.