The church consists of a nave measuring 17.5 x 5.6 m internally, with walls of rough uncoursed limestone and ashlar quoins. It is roofless, but the walls are intact and the W wall and doorway restored. A small mortuary was added to the E of the church in 1667. There is a flat-headed door on the N side, a 15thc. door on the S side, and windows at the E end of the N and S walls. The W door incorporates reused Romanesque stones and the E window is Romanesque, both probably built into a later medieval church.
There is no early historical evidence of the site, but the low remains of a circular enclosure in the fields suggests that it may have been an early Christian site.
|interior opening h.||2.15 m|
|interior opening w.||0.84 m|
A single square order set flush with the facade, with no decoration on the W face. The reset arch is plain. The imposts are moulded. There are no capitals or bases. The jambs include reused carved stones.
N jamb, second course: two stones decorated with a wave-like row of spiral scrolls between double ridged borders above and below.
The angle stone is decorated on the inside face of the jamb (S face): the surface is badly damaged and the decoration is only legible on the E section of the face. (Decorated face h. 0.21 x 0.53 m.; plain face 0.21 x 0.38 m)
The inner stone is decorated on the face with a similar and better preserved row of spiral scrolls between double ridged borders. (h. 0.21 x 0.26 m)
N jamb, Third course: the angle stone has indented grooves framing both faces. (h. 0.21 x 0.51 x 0.27 m)
S jamb, second course: the angle stone has a vertical decorated band on the inner (N) face of jamb, with a running foliage scroll framed by ridged borders. (h. 0.35 x 0.20 x 0.29 m; width of decorative band 0.7 m).
S jamb, third course: the angle stone has a vertical decorative band similar to that on the second course, but more weathered and difficult to decipher. It is probably a continuation of the same foliage scroll band. (h. 0.20 x 0.31 x 0.40 m; width of decorative band 0.7 m).
The imposts have a horizontal moulding on the inner face of the jambs, with a hollow between two rolls. (h. 0.16 m)
|Exterior h.||1.21 m|
|Exterior w.||0.13 m|
D.F. Gleeson, Churches in the Deanery of Ormond, North Munster Archaeological Journal, VI, 1, 1951, 96-108.
A. Gwynn & D. F. Gleeson, A History of the Diocese of Killaloe, Dublin, 1962, 145.
P. Harbison, Guide to the National and Historic Monuments of Ireland, Dublin 1992, 306.
M. Clyne, Romanesque Carvings at Killodiernan, Co. Tipperary, North Munster Archaeological Journal, 26, 1984, 44-53.