A long, narrow two cell church, which at some point has been reduced in length by the insertion of a cross wall. (nave 18.83 m x 9.06 m, chancel 18.03 m x 8.34 m). The W and N walls of the nave, and most of the N wall and E end of the S wall of the chancel have fallen. The ruins were heavily covered with ivy.
The early history of the church is not known. Brady (1863, II, 34-6) quotes a 1224 reference to the church at Ballyhay, and it is listed in the Papal taxation of 1291. The church is recorded as 'in ruins' during a Visitation of 1615, but the chancel was in repair by 1694.
The E corbel has large walnut-shaped eyes; in this case the rolled jaws are merely outlined and not hollowed out.
This corbel appears to have lost approximately one third of its upper portion, though Leask drew this as part of the design. The jaws end with a rolled profile, hollowed out, and there are hints of interlacing on the hair (W side).